OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Latex

Started by Turkeyman62, January 27, 2016, 03:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman62

How tight should this be when putting on the tube caller ?
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

pappy

The key to the tube call is flexibility at the reed area...the way to start off is to take and look at the distance across the area where the reed will lie...usually 1" or 1 -1/16" .... then take your reed and lay it where there is no tension at all. Then put your O-ring on with just enough force to create the quarter moon shape. That should get you started...you can experiment as to the looseness some like their reeds loose...I mean really loose, some leave them in the way I described above then cut tiny notches on either side next to the inner wall no more then 3/32" tall, this allows the reed to flap a hair for rasp....just do not put your reed on to where it is so tight you can't even run it...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Turkeyman62

Thanks Pappy, Then I have the latex way to tight .
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

pappy

more then likely that is the most common mistake we make...
tel...573-380-8206

dzsmith

what are the chances id stumble across this. first year running a tube call. I have a close calls cut down cedar. and have been experimenting with it. I always kept the reed very tight and I could only produce super high pitch yelps that don't even resemble a turkey. most videos ive watched never made any mention of this
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

pappy

LOL...see it pays to surf Old Gobbler you never know what you will find...let us know how things change with your tube caller...pappy
tel...573-380-8206

dzsmith

it changed dramatically. it is harder to keep a consistent yelp with the loose latex...but the yelp is definetly more realistic with a hint of rasp
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

mspaci

a lot of times what I do is, when I get my latex just right for a particular call, I will wrap it one time around with black electrical tape & its isn't moving at all. Mike