turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

all reeds prophylactic

Started by dark horse, January 26, 2016, 02:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dark horse

Anyone prefer a call with all reeds being proph?

tubecaller10

Yes I do like a few all proph calls. All pro 3 reed from houndstooth game calls is my favorite all proph call.

GobbleNut

I have experimented with making all-proph calls on and off.  They are certainly capable of producing some good sounds, especially low-volume calls.  To me, however, they are just a bit too finicky in terms of reed fatigue, longevity, and general upkeep to keep them performing well.  I prefer to use a combination of .003 and .004 and proph, rather than straight proph material.  The thicker material just seems to hold up better for me, while producing as good or better sound quality.

Gooserbat

I like it for a 4 reed in a combo.or V cut.  You have to be careful about how you crimp it so it don't slip with that many reeds.  I have and do build 2, 3, and 4 reed calls for myself from proph, however I don't use it as an exclusive material.  It also makes a great straight 2 or 3 reed call if you don't want any cuts in the top reed.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

vt35mag

I started making my own calls in the fall, and I found all proph 3 reeds with combo cuts to be rather simple to make woods worthy.  The reeds slipping drives me nuts though!  I seem to have to take specific steps while making a call in order to keep it from happening.  Practice is making perfect though.  Hoping to kill a bird or two with a mouth call I made this spring. 

TRKYHTR

A couple pricks with an ALL will keep that prof from slipping.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Lonehowl

^^^ What Joe said...gotta tack em together real good on a hard surface.
Mark