OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Are you Hook'd?  (Read 6081 times)

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Are you Hook'd?
« on: January 19, 2016, 10:37:36 PM »
Just thought I would share this with you!

I have had some history with this “bad” bird and have been hunting him for the past 3 years, he was the kind of bird who would always answer but never come in, seems he always had hens with him and 5 or 6 of them at a time. Well here we are in year #4 and have seen him out strutting with his harem of hens and have set-up on him a number of times this year already, actually killed a couple of satellite birds in his area during our first couple of seasons. So we are now into our 4th season and after a tough few days and a unsuccessful morning hunting with a buddy I was headed back to the house to mow my lawn that seriously needs it. My buddy says you can always mow lawn in 2 weeks when turkey season is over... Took his advice and went out to the blind, got the DSD's my Cody and BIG PUFFY out. Once I sat down this guy gobbles once at my hen talk and then shuts up, I gave him a few more calls and no response… Next thing I see is a head pop up in the field and disappear, the a fan appears and he is strutting in and doing the fast walk. Eleven minutes into it and he's down at 15 yards! This is the one I was after and he was lonely today. This is a bird that I knew all too well and finally taking this longbeard “Hook” was worth the wait! He weighed in at 23lbs 7oz, a 10 ½” beard and spurs were at 1 7/16”

MK M GOBL

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:02:29 PM by MK M GOBL »

Offline trad bow

Re: Are you Hook'd?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 06:19:27 PM »
Great story. I like those Cody's. Work for me.

Offline OldSchool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 03:30:47 PM »
Cool, congrats on taking "Hook". Don't you just love those old birds? Just think of the turkeys he's passed his genes on to.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Offline jepcho

• The Boss Gobbler
Are you Hook'd?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 07:38:55 PM »
Great story! I have hunted too many birds like that, but seem to keep going back when I find another. I got 2 birds that kicked my butt several times last year and I already have plans for them for this year!

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 01:25:45 PM »
 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Offline Fan Club

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:18:37 AM »
It's kind of a no brainer in retrospect, but your best opportunity to tag a Boss gobbler is at the end of the season when the hens are on the nest, he is lonely and yes, the lawn desperately needs mowing. A couple weeks earlier he would have been henned up and most guys would put their tag on a subordinate tom in order to get at that nagging honey-do list.

Your buddy was right...they lawn will still be there and spring turkey season is only once a year. Well done!

<- <- <- <- <- <- <- <- <-

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 02:46:36 AM »
You should not have taken that bird.

Offline MOWEN

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 10:58:34 PM »
Why should he have not shot the bird?

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 08:43:04 PM »
You should not have taken that bird.

Just seeing this, bird is dead and has been on my wall for years (with a number of his friends)  :icon_thumright:

So the question would be why "Should" I have not taken that bird???

MK M GOBL

Offline MissLouHunter

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »
Great story!