OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What Hooked Me on Turkeys  (Read 3104 times)

Offline jpc1317

What Hooked Me on Turkeys
« on: May 20, 2020, 08:51:25 AM »
As my Alabama turkey season has come to a close, I have had two of my worst seasons of hunting in back to back years. Yes, it was a tough season, but I couldn’t help but smile on the way home from my last outing with a memory. I hope y’all enjoy it, and it helps you recall what connected you to the spring woods.
     It was a crisp  Alabama morning, the kind where the fog sits in the holler a little longer, and dad and I had just met Buddy at our turnoff. The only reason we were hunting with Buddy that morning is because he had a .410 I could borrow.  I had been turkey hunting before (never seen one) but I was still too small to shoot the family 20ga. So it would be my first time ever have the chance to bag one.
     We then cut out down the trail with no lights, because Buddy insisted. After zig zagging through what seemed 15 logging roads, we then reached a point and stopped. As the whipper-wills sang, he sounded off not 250 yards below us and to the left. Buddy knew right where he was and insisted we setup even with him so he could easily access us.
      Buddy led my dad and myself in a single file line and told me and him to find a tree. Dad and I sat down,and as he was helping me ready my gun, Buddy slipped further below us about 40 yards to call. I don’t remember the call sequence he threw at him but he gobbled his head off. This was the closest I have ever been to one gobbling on the roost, and I don’t think there is another rush like hearing a gobbler rattling in big timber. 
    After about 15 minutes of that, the woods went quiet. I then remember asking dad what the weird noise I was hearing was, and he said “he’s drumming and spitting. Don’t move”. Then he appeared, the snow white head cruising through the grey light. This was probably 35 paces, which was out of the range of my .410. And as soon as he appeared, he was gone. 
     He went two ridges over with hens so we moved with them. Buddy put dad and me at the base of the next ridge and him on the ridge across. He again hit the call and the gobbler fired back.
     He about came running to the top of the ridge dad and me were under, but he had his ladies with him this time. The hens hated something about how dad and me looked on the tree together so they came to check us out. The gobbler stayed on top of the hill with the sun coming up behind him. Each time he gobbled you could see the steam escape his mouth. This went on for an hour or so until his ladies decided to take him away.
     This is one of my best turkey hunting memories. I would call it more of a reason that I do it than anything. It didn’t involve a kill, but it did involve family, friends, and the show of a lifetime.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: What Hooked Me on Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 05:25:31 PM »
Nice, you crafted an excellent story.  :icon_thumright:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 04:50:46 PM »
Making memories , are better than a kill...it's all about hunting turkeys ...

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 08:00:44 AM »
Great story. Early hunting memories are the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jonathan Wise

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 05:36:28 PM »
Thanks for sharing. My first time we didn't kill anything but that feeling when a bunch of gobblers sounded off at first light hooked me for life. I still enjoy each outing regardless of the outcome.

Offline mhamby

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 05:06:06 PM »
It’s the thrill of the chase that gets my blood pumping. Some of my most successful and memorable hunts ended up with no bird being carried across my shoulder.

My favorite hunt ever was my daughter’s second bird. We decoyed it and 3 other Jakes to within 15 feet and she cut his head clean off with her crossbow. The show didn’t end after the shot. The other 3 Jakes flogged her downed bird and gobbled while he flopped on the ground. The look on her face was priceless. We still talk about that hunt......last night as a matter of factly. That’s him in my Avatar.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 11:29:29 AM »
Great story. I'm still trying to get my first archery gobbler. Maybe this is my year.I will always remember my first 2 gobblers. Taken in spring,  and fall, same year.Both over 20 lbs.

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 01:54:04 PM »
My first 2 gobblers were ambush birds,  and my first one, was one that will always be in the photo books.

Offline MissLouHunter

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 09:43:18 AM »
Great story!