OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Looking for an inside 40 yd choke for SBE2  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Pluffmud

Looking for an inside 40 yd choke for SBE2
« on: April 02, 2021, 07:46:50 PM »
Id like to start shooting smaller shot sizes that are heavier than lead. Not looking to get on the TSS train, but I would like some heavier than lead around #6s or #7s. I currently have around 15 rounds of Hevi13 #7s in 3in. I call turkeys in close. 360 pellets in a 10 inch circle at long distance is impressive, but I want more room for error. Id like a choke that i can comfortably take a bird anywhere from 10 to 30ish yards, but still be able to stretch out to 40 if I needed to. Ive seen some other threads in which SBE2s are being paired with tight IC, sumtoy, and Hevi shot chokes, but I have yet to find a thread that shows chokes with a more open pattern. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Psalm 46:10

Offline DirtNap647

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Looking for an inside 40 yd choke for SBE2
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 04:43:54 AM »
id just use a factory full. hevi 7 is alot of shot only shooting to 40 id try a full benelli

Offline ManfromGreenSwamp

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 09:56:13 AM »
Get you a duck choke .695 lol
But I agree with the factory chokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“First one to the carcass gets the most”
-T.Farley

“I’m livin ta rest, I was born tired”
-B.Button

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 07:46:40 PM »
Did you ever find a choke that suits your SBE II?  I didn't see this thread until now. 
I have a few fairly open chokes I don't use much that I'd let you try, if you're interested.  Let me know.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Jc69

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 11:49:06 AM »
I have a 26 inch SBE2 that I picked up after last turkey season.  Been using it all year on squirrels and it's been flawless.  It came with a Jellyhead .660 choke.  I just got around to patterning it this weekend.  I came across box of Remington nitro Turkey #6 / 3 inch that was $12 at my local gun shop, I thought I'd try that and then try some more expensive loads that I already have and then try  some 3.5's.   It patterned so well with the Remington Nitro Turkey that I didn't even try any other ammo with it. I didn't see how I could do any better I was so happy with the pattern.  I'm hunting hardwoods with alot of underbrush, no fields and I doubt I have any shots over 25 yards.  I patterned it at 20-30 yards and was just very impressed with the Jellyhead .660 Remington Nitros.  Tried the factory full and seemed to be a little lower patterns. I probably should have shot it at closer ranges, going to see if I can find another box of the nitros and shoot a few inside 20.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 01:42:59 PM by Jc69 »

Offline swampfox44

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 11:10:07 PM »
I've had good luck with Sumtoy, Trulock and Jeb's. But, had to go through many loads until I found which worked with each choke.
SwampFox    Proud Father of a United States Marine

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 08:43:45 AM »
Best thing is a 665.   Change shell for the short range. (cheap lead)   Then if you go to a place you need the hot pattern swap to TSS or Long Beard.  :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Online Lcmacd 58

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Shoot 'em close
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 01:00:12 PM »
Call Rob Roberts in Arkansas and talk to them. They get you a choke that will be dialed in on whatever you need.

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 08:07:27 PM »
Jebs 655 with LB 5's works in my SBE 3