OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: new choke out for 2016 what a pattern  (Read 22751 times)

Offline fountain2

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: new choke out for 2016 what a pattern
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 07:33:29 PM »
^  and they still have the show...u still talk with em??   I stumbled upon the show the other morning. 

I saw one in Nashville this weekend too

Offline mrclif

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2016, 12:52:26 PM »
I picked up the .690 and the .680 he made for me at the convention and he gave me a .660 also. So far he's held true to his word and I will test drive these chokes with TSS and some lead this weekend temps in mid 60's should be some good test time. But I call BS on yardages in videos never had a wad fly further than 30yds or so. He mighta had the the little woman pacing them off or something. The owner of Wildside Armory and his partners seem legit but I don't have any respect for dude in vids and think he hurt their business more than he helped it.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 06:51:26 AM »
when I was young and foolish, I shot at a couple birds that were beyond the range of my gun. I had zero experience with turkeys, they were big and appeared to be closer than they were to a kid with sweat pouring into both eyes and trying to re swollow his heart.

I vowed not to do it again. I practiced with my calls and worked on estimating yardage. As I gained more experience I started to realise the closer I let the birds come, the more I got out of the experience. 30 yards is fun, at 20 things start to get real interesting and at 10 or less, It's about all the excitement I can stand these days. ;D

It's just my opinion and we all see things differently, but I want my birds close. If I can't talk him into 30 or preferably less, I'll hunt him again tomorrow. It's a win win situation the way I look at it. It's human nature to push the envelope, but why take the chance of crippling a bird at ridiculous ranges when the real fun lies in getting them up close and personal. :z-twocents:

Bob
Well said sir. The hunt seems to be escaping some of these mfg's...  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline mrclif

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2016, 11:35:18 AM »
Alittle update on these chokes. I pattern tested the 2 I bought in my vinci and my buddies m2. I had ordered a 690 and he said he'd make me a 690 a 680 and let me try a 670 and a 660. My first pass thru convention he didnt have them unpacked so I came back later and he dug 2 chokes out that were unmarked I asked him about the 660 and the 670 to try and he handed me a used 660. I paid full retail for what was suppose to be a 680 and a 690, 80 bucks each.
 Tested them at 40 yds with a 2 oz load of tss out of the "690" first not very good by tss standards prolly around 180 in the 10. Shot the 660 at same yardage same load resembled my factory flush modified choke performance covered whole sheet of contractor paper.
  Took the 660 out installed in buddies m2 after seeing how good it did with a cheap 660 Primos choke and long beards thinking it may be the ticket with a lead load, wrong another blown pattern.
 So next I screw the one he said was 680 and it was better than the 660 but worse than the "690" so I shot factory flush full with tss and long beards it out performed all 3 of the chokes he sold me and I concluded that range session.
 Got home trying to figure out what was happening I mic the chokes factory full .695, the one he said was 690 is 680, the one he said was 680 is 670, the only one labeled was a 660 and it mic that. New installation of his chokes are very tight for the last 1/8th inch or so from bottoming out.
 I called him after that and told chokes werent what I asked for and performed terrible out of our guns with the loads we were using and he said he'd make what I asked for and send to me. I got a call back said he'd make it right.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:19:07 PM by mrclif »

Offline turkeykiller

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2016, 12:41:36 PM »
I bought one for my sbe2 in February at the NWTF convention. Hope to shot it this weekend I have a sumtoy to fall back on just wanted to compare the patterns.

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2016, 12:29:20 PM »
Looks like a great choke to use at FD turkey shoots!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 12:22:14 PM »
maybe im wrong but it seems turkey hunting is turning into something more along the lines of turkey shooting.what happened to trying to get a weary old tom in close.
Brother if that's not the instant gratification n every guys a winner generation. Shoot turkeys or deer further, baiting big game, motion dekes for turks n waterfowl, keeps going further n further. Sportsmanship or making things sporting are long gone in most guys minds. Bragging rights are more important

Offline TRex18

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2016, 02:26:08 PM »
"Brother if that's not the instant gratification n every guys a winner generation. Shoot turkeys or deer further, baiting big game, motion dekes for turks n waterfowl, keeps going further n further. Sportsmanship or making things sporting are long gone in most guys minds. Bragging rights are more important "

Exactly!!!!   ^^^^^^

Offline hs strut

• tn turkey thumper
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
maybe im wrong but it seems turkey hunting is turning into something more along the lines of turkey shooting.what happened to trying to get a weary old tom in close.
Brother if that's not the instant gratification n every guys a winner generation. Shoot turkeys or deer further, baiting big game, motion dekes for turks n waterfowl, keeps going further n further. Sportsmanship or making things sporting are long gone in most guys minds. Bragging rights are more important
im afraid your right.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

Offline turkey buster

• Longbeard
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2016, 06:26:42 PM »

most of them don't know how to do that

:z-winnersmiley:

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 06:49:05 PM »
I watched the posts on youtube,and let me say I dont doubt these people have got some good turkey rigs,but the distances of which they claim are nothin' more than LIES....PERIOD. Anyone do it the way you want but just remember you,no one else is on the hook when you teach the WRONG way to do things.There are more than just grown-ups that hunt.

Offline batsonbe

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 08:09:11 PM »
There are minimal reviews on these chokes. Id be interested in 1 but not till after i see more reviews for them

Offline vabeardhunter

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2016, 08:45:59 PM »
It seems woodsmanship is becoming less valued by some hunters... 

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 11:59:28 AM »
It seems woodsmanship is becoming less valued by some hunters...
X2

Offline kdsberman

new choke out for 2016 what a pattern
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »
im afraid your right.

Very right. Well said