OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: new choke out for 2016 what a pattern  (Read 22710 times)

Offline cluck

Re: new choke out for 2016 what a pattern
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 12:17:37 PM »
Wisdom is knowledge properly used. It works when I read my Bible and it works when Iam able to get old tom in under 40!       Cluck

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
new choke out for 2016 what a pattern
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 05:39:19 AM »
Watched the video and don't like it. Even deer hunting I bring them in closer. I'd say you better forget shooting at 20 yards it probably patterns like a slug. I can't wait to see pattern results once these flood the market.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »
yep I like them nearly in my lap before I shoot. I would rather have a choke that throws a nasty 40 yard 3" pattern with a good 10" corona. If the bird is at 15 yards you  aren't likely to miss.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 12:16:18 AM »
I personally think the claims of those shot ranges are absolute BS.  If you watch, you'll see the wads either hitting very close to or in a couple cases actually hitting the bird.  A standard wad WILL NOT do that past about 30-35 yards, I don't care what choke you shoot it through... 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline mrclif

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 08:28:23 AM »
I talked to the owner of the choke company yesterday for a good bit, super nice guy. He's a former employee of another choke company that went out on his own with some new ideas. Told him I was more interested in a solid 20" pattern than a laser beam 10" or 3" core. Told him I wanted a .680 or .690 for my Benelli said he would make them and I could pick em up at the Convention cant beat that service. We'll see how they run.

Offline stewart

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 11:16:25 AM »
We all get a little too involved in the choke hype but not everyone who is doing so is looking for the 50+ yard choke. Most are just looking for the choke/load/gun/barrel combo that is as effective at 40 yards as at it is at 30. Any shotgun with a full choke that shoots where you point it will give good turkey killing patterns out to 30 yards with any good turkey load that has hard lead or tungsten alloy shot.

I believe that most turkey hunters use lead shot and that requires the use of a turkey choke beyond 30 yards. You would think there would be common knowledge and an agreed formula by now but actually, most of the turkey chokes now available still underperform with lead shot at 40 yards. Shot improvements (tungsten/hevi-13 etc.) took up some of the slack and allow the use of almost any turkey choke but recent new product releases (by Winchester and Envirometal) prove that most of us are still looking for that lead turkey load and choke combination that will give good patterns out to 40 yards.

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 11:35:41 AM »
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/403815-new-choke-out-anyone-heard-where-do-i-get-one.html

Are you sure you are not a salesman for them ?
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 08:41:37 PM »
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/403815-new-choke-out-anyone-heard-where-do-i-get-one.html

Are you sure you are not a salesman for them ?

Told you I smelled BS. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 05:32:04 PM »
 :OGturkeyhead:A .30-06 can "smoke 'em" at 100 + yds too! Sadly, the claim of shooting a bird at 82 yards is not viewed as the embarrassment that it should be.

Offline hs strut

• tn turkey thumper
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 10:45:48 PM »
:OGturkeyhead:A .30-06 can "smoke 'em" at 100 + yds too! Sadly, the claim of shooting a bird at 82 yards is not viewed as the embarrassment that it should be.
i couldnt agree more.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

Offline fountain2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 03:25:31 PM »
Are these the black tapered ones at the convention?

Offline turkeywhisperer935

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 02:47:10 AM »
OK boys, I just watched this video and it is terrible for turkey hunting. First off I call bs also on some of the shots. The wad was hitting the bird and like somebody previously stated would not happen at those distances. I understand with the Advancement's of ammo nowdays 60 yards is a possibility but not 80, that's bs. Secondly the idiot hunter sure doesn't know how to let the flock split for a clean shot on the intended target. Must be trying to kill the whole d**mn flock. They need to do better advertising cause this turned me off totally. And the chick hunting with him on one hunt said they thought it was 40 yds and it turned out to be 70. I know anybody that's been hunting for any amount of time can tell 40 yds from 70 even in a field. Just terrible that's all I got.

Offline TNTRKYHunter

new choke out for 2016 what a pattern
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »

Are these the black tapered ones at the convention?
Yes. These are the chokes. I asked them what ammo they were using to make these "long shots" and they told me they were using the nitro 4x5x7 loads and Win LB. The tapered portion of the choke looked thin walled to me, but I guess someone there bought one as the magic chokes for long range turkey shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fountain2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 08:12:45 PM »
That's what I thought too.  They looked neat.  Only had 2 pattern pics tho...they were dang good ones, but need more proof than that.  I too was told they shot nitros

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 12:33:30 PM »

You know I had a TV show that we supported for a short time.  They did a video that had some crazy thing like that on it.  I fussed with them about being on TV bragging about kill shots like that.  Sad thing that video is on line some place.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA