OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lightning Strike Turkey Calls

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, January 11, 2016, 07:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tiogabowhunter

I asked a buddy of mine who is an outstanding turkey hunter and call maker - to put together a brief instructional to send out with the calls he makes.  Although the indoor acoustics could be better it was very helpful for me and I thought some others might find it helpful.

paboxcall

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Excellent video from a real turkey killer!

Here's my favorite call of all time, a real Snozz special!

(updated 8/20/19 to replace the old photobucket photo only)

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

1tiogabowhunter

hunter22

Ralph is a true turkey legend in my opinion. I could talk to him all day. I put him right there with Lonnie Sneed, Billy Buice, and Lamar Williams as far as turkey hunting knowledge. I have used his longboxes to kill gobblers and talked to him recently and he remembered the Osage/Sassafras call I got from him.

drenalinld

Awesome. Nice long box cabinet and a good collection of beards!

greencop01

He's from the old school and learned from Mr Cost. I learned about him from Earl Mickel's third book. I just looked at pictures he was in rubbing shoulders with all these old school turkey hunters. I got his number and called him and he made me a butternut/ceder call. I've killed two birds with it, and the first bird with it was my son-in-law's first bird, an 18lb jake. I would love to talk turkey with him over a good bourbon. Yes he's a good ol boy and he shares his secrets. I'm glad I got him to make me a call.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

mgm1955

crow

bump for a good paddle call instructional

Yoder409

A walnut over wormy chestnut paddle caller just came in the mail from Mr. Ralph yesterday................

It's ALL turkey!!!!   Yep.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

paboxcall

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 19, 2017, 08:35:14 PM
A walnut over wormy chestnut paddle caller just came in the mail from Mr. Ralph yesterday................

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Most excellent!  Congrats on a good call from a good guy!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

crow

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 19, 2017, 08:35:14 PM

Congrats on your new paddle call, I was fortunate to get to see and hear this call run, you got a great sounding call, and a nice looking piece of wormy chestnut.

crow

Quote from: Treerooster on March 20, 2017, 04:14:24 PM
crow, thank you for bumping this back up.

I had not seen that before and am glad I got to see it. Always good to see how others play a call.

:icon_thumright:,-----on that link, 3 videos to the right of the paddle instructional is a video of Ralph on a hunt titled "Snozz takes a snooze", very good video of one of the old masters of the sport on a hunt.

Rzrbac

Now there's another paddle call for me to think about.  How hard is it get one of these made?

Yoder409

Quote from: Rzrbac on March 21, 2017, 12:47:16 AM
Now there's another paddle call for me to think about.  How hard is it get one of these made?

Ooooooohhhhhhhh...................it's REAL hard................

Ya gotta get on the phone and talk turkey calls and turkey huntin' with one of the most enjoyable fellers you'll ever chat with.

If you can handle that...............then you're in.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Rzrbac

Watched that video again!  That guy can play that call. Anybody know what combos are on the boxes he's using in the video?