OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Truglo opinions  (Read 10224 times)

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
Truglo opinions
« on: January 08, 2016, 12:10:12 AM »
I have an 870 with the pressed bead front site. Considered buying either the truglo 30mm red dot or the gobble stopper. I'm reading mixed reviews online. Hesitant because as of now I'm mainly planing to run and gun in the woods so most shots will probably be 20ish yards. I am a noob so all opinions and advice welcome. I'm running an Indian Creek. 665 and undecided on shot yet. Reason I'm considering a sight is because I patterned this gun with a remington full choke at 40 with federal turkey shot and at 40 it was high right. So either I'm wanting a red dot or fiber optic sights installed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline mwr

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Truglo opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 01:22:02 AM »
Burris Fast Fire III!!!!  Love it!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »
If your point of impact is off dramatically you may want to go with some optics like a Bushnell TRS-25 (under $100). If not, the adjustable Tru Glo sights will serve you well.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 03:06:05 PM »
 :welcomeOG:

Does your gun have a vent rib? If so look hard at the below.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/219733/truglo-pro-series-magnum-gobble-dot-sight-set-fits-remington-shotgun-with-1-4-vent-rib-steel-fiber-optic-red-front-green-rear

I have the above sight on 4 of my guns and have never had a problem.

The below sight is one I'm considering trying for Spring of 16. I really like the way it clamps to the rib. Seems more durable than the Truglos' that have served me very well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/671251/williams-fire-sight-set-universal-vent-rib-slugger-shotgun-aluminum-black-fiber-optic-green

I've tried the scope and the FFIII thing and it wasn't for me. Both seem to have more cons than pros IMO. I will admit - a gobblers head does look cool with that red dot floating on it.

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 04:41:53 PM »
:welcomeOG:

Does your gun have a vent rib? If so look hard at the below.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/219733/truglo-pro-series-magnum-gobble-dot-sight-set-fits-remington-shotgun-with-1-4-vent-rib-steel-fiber-optic-red-front-green-rear

I have the above sight on 4 of my guns and have never had a problem.

The below sight is one I'm considering trying for Spring of 16. I really like the way it clamps to the rib. Seems more durable than the Truglos' that have served me very well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/671251/williams-fire-sight-set-universal-vent-rib-slugger-shotgun-aluminum-black-fiber-optic-green

I've tried the scope and the FFIII thing and it wasn't for me. Both seem to have more cons than pros IMO. I will admit - a gobblers head does look cool with that red dot floating on it.
Yes sir it is a vented rib. My only concern with a top mounted sights that sits higher then the rib would have me shooting higher naturally. I have only read one review where that seemed to be the case though.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 05:11:27 PM »
If you use both the front and rear sight then that will not happen. If you only line up the front sight and don't put your head down on the gun, you will shoot high every time. The same holds true to using only a bead. Having three (Front sight, rear sight and the target) points of reference will avoid any aiming issue. Center the front sight on your target and center the rear sight on your front sight no worries. Also, consider any scope you mount on the gun will probably sit higher then those "iron sights" will, but that will not cause any issues either.

Don't think of your turkey gun completely as a shotgun, think of it more as rifle in regards to aiming/shooting.

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »
If you use both the front and rear sight then that will not happen. If you only line up the front sight and don't put your head down on the gun, you will shoot high every time. The same holds true to using only a bead. Having three (Front sight, rear sight and the target) points of reference will avoid any aiming issue. Center the front sight on your target and center the rear sight on your front sight no worries. Also, consider any scope you mount on the gun will probably sit higher then those "iron sights" will, but that will not cause any issues either.

Don't think of your turkey gun completely as a shotgun, think of it more as rifle in regards to aiming/shooting.
I've been shooting my whole life so sight alignment isn't new for me. Although shooting with chokes and turkey load is. So your statement about being more similar to a rifle than a shotgun is true and that's an adjustment I'm learning. Up till now just always shot bird shot with small game and skeet. Also considering fiber optic open sites instead of a scope. My custom 870 has the single pressed bead, I'm wanting at least fiber optics to adjust to my pattern and for low light conditions.

Offline wytrat785

• Topeka, KS
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 11:19:51 PM »
Something else I'll throw out for some food for thought is open sites and a scope. I setup my new 870 I got this year with a Bushnell Trophy XLT scope and see-thru scope rings so I could also use the factory fiber optic sights also if the need arose. My eyesight is such I had a hard time using open sights for longer shots but up close I'm fine. I've also found that having a scope helped lighten my equipment load. I can see well enough at longer distances and judge yardage well enough I no longer needed to carry my binoculars and rangefinder. And  :welcomeOG:

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 06:25:40 AM »
Something else I'll throw out for some food for thought is open sites and a scope. I setup my new 870 I got this year with a Bushnell Trophy XLT scope and see-thru scope rings so I could also use the factory fiber optic sights also if the need arose. My eyesight is such I had a hard time using open sights for longer shots but up close I'm fine. I've also found that having a scope helped lighten my equipment load. I can see well enough at longer distances and judge yardage well enough I no longer needed to carry my binoculars and rangefinder. And  :welcomeOG:
I havent really considered a scope much because the area I'm in I'm primarily gonna be woods hunting probably. Other turkey hunters in my are say average range is 20 yards. My eye sight is fine (for now) I just want to make sure I'm equipped the best possible to make a human kill in all light conditions while hunting.

Offline wytrat785

• Topeka, KS
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 08:56:55 AM »
I havent really considered a scope much because the area I'm in I'm primarily gonna be woods hunting probably. Other turkey hunters in my are say average range is 20 yards. My eye sight is fine (for now) I just want to make sure I'm equipped the best possible to make a human kill in all light conditions while hunting.

[/quote]

Good to hear about your eyesight. Old age is sneaking up on me..lol. I'll say you're on the right track. This board has such great information for you to gleam and members willing to help you out so that you can take it all in and decide what will work best for YOU. Good luck and hope you get a big thunder chicken!

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »
Lot's of folks like this one & this is a killer price.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/bushnell-ultra-compact-red-dot-731303.html

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 07:47:50 PM »
Have been hunting with a scope for better than 20 years and would not give it up for anything, I have seen way too many misses due to not being on the bird "right"... Only issue I have had is when I borrowed another buddies turkey gun and it had a "lighted" sight and at the wrong time the battery went dead... missed opportunity. I use a "traditional" scope designed for turkey hunting, was able to adjust my pattern to hit on target up close, range the distance to the bird and has been a blessing with the new and youth hunters I take out. Now if I could find a "Turkey Scope" that had the added feature of lighting up my traditional crosshairs when I wanted that would be the deal.

MK M GOBL

Offline Hunter1979

Truglo opinions
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 09:50:01 PM »
I have the truglo gobble stopper red dot on my Super Nova.  I had to send it back before I even shot it as the battery compartment screw fell off and it was nothing I could fix.  They sent me a new one and I had it back on my gun within two weeks. I've shot a full box of Winchester long beard xr 3.5" shells through it and it has never lost its zero.  My pattern is VERY tight at 10 yds, and still patterns great out to 40.  I love the sight and trust it at any of those distances.

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »
Been using this one for the past 3 seasons with no problems. I really like it a lot. Others on this forum have also used it with good results.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/929725/truglo-tru-brite-reflex-red-dot-sight-red-and-green-4-pattern-reticle-25-moa-dot-5-moa-dot-25-moa-circle-dot-5-moa-circle-dot-with-integral-weaver-style-base-matte

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 11:05:37 PM »
I vote for the TRS-25. 

Tried and proven and you will be hard pressed to find anyone unhappy with it. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson