turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossy 500 hevi shot choke help

Started by capnrock, March 29, 2011, 09:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnrock

My buddy has a 500 and we were both kinda wondering what a good choke would be for use with the hevi-13 shells?  Any suggestions?  Thanks :fud:

SumToy

Something in the 660 rang give a good even hunting pattern. If you want the big numbers and the I missed at 20 yards drop to a 645 rang.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

capnrock

Well I appreciate the info, like the JH doesnt say its "approved" for hevi, so we are not really sure for example and I use a PG 670 with my 835 and I noticed that he doesnt have one for the 500 unless I have missed it somewhere.  So we are kinda looking for brand and restriction info.  Thanks

shootumindaface

Quote from: capnrock on March 29, 2011, 09:26:41 AM
Well I appreciate the info, like the JH doesnt say its "approved" for hevi, so we are not really sure for example and I use a PG 670 with my 835 and I noticed that he doesnt have one for the 500 unless I have missed it somewhere.  So we are kinda looking for brand and restriction info.  Thanks
Look for Inv (NOT INV +) or win choke

surehuntsalot

we put a Primos .660 Tightwad my brother's 500 and he is getting 170- 180 with Hevi 13 #6's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

capnrock

CANLIMBHANGAR

i have a puregold in my 500 ordered right from them and it shoots great with hevi no 6s,try calling them and asking for it i guarrenty they make them.
GO NORTH OR GO HOME!!!

Lon0121

i heard jellyhead patterns good in these!~
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

chatterbox

I have a JH .660. These chokes are rated for hevi shot, and I get 180+ when shooting 3-2-6 hevi's out of my 535 which shares the same invector threads that your 500 does.
Give the JH a try. You might be very pleased. The only way to know is to give it a try.

chatterbox

Quote from:  link=topic=5865.msg73246#msg73246 date=1301574054
Quote from: capnrock on March 29, 2011, 09:15:38 AM
My buddy has a 500 and we were both kinda wondering what a good choke would be for use with the hevi-13 shells?  Any suggestions?  Thanks :fud:

Carlson .670 or the Mossberg Factory 670 Turkey choke will give you what you want.
Hal, I believe the .670 stock mossy turkey choke is rated for lead only. At least I know the XX turkey choke I had in my 535 said so.

2INCHHOOKS

I use Indian Creek " black Diamond" in my moss 500 with Nitro 7's unreal pattern out to 40 yrds...

unclerick

I have a Jelly Head .665 in my 11-87 that I'm useing this year and will be shooting heavy 13 #6 and the magnum blend 5x6x7, I'm wanting to shoot the mag blends from my Mossy but the only choke I have for it is a factory Remington Super Full choke and I don't know if it will work good in it or not.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

allaboutshooting

Quote from: capnrock on March 29, 2011, 09:15:38 AM
My buddy has a 500 and we were both kinda wondering what a good choke would be for use with the hevi-13 shells?  Any suggestions?  Thanks :fud:

I've done a lot of work recently with a Mossberg 930 which has the same i.d. barrel as the 500. Mine has a 28" barrel, so you'd need to take that into consideration. I'm seeing some great results with 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot and a Wright's .670 choke. I've been a little surprised at the patterns, frankly but in this gun, that's the choke that works best.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

chatterbox

Quote from: CANLIMBHANGAR on March 30, 2011, 12:00:45 PM
i have a puregold in my 500 ordered right from them and it shoots great with hevi no 6s,try calling them and asking for it i guarrenty they make them.
What constriction?