OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 pattern

Started by strutnrut, January 03, 2016, 12:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnrut

Here is a pattern we shot of a new shell. Trying to come up with a non-toxic shell with lower recoil for a 12 ga. This was shot out of a Mossberg 835 with a factory Turkey Choke at 40 yards with no wind. The shot is uniformed, non-toxic and heavy. This pattern is of 3" shells 1 7/8 oz. #6 shot at 1025 fps resulting in 142 hits in a 10" circle and another 149 in the 20" circle for a total of 291 total within the 20" circle. Going after a reduced recoil. Getting older and just can't stand those hard kicking shells any more. These are reduced recoil.
Sooner than later I think all Federal and State Managed property will go to Non-Toxic Shot only.
Looking for feedback.

bbcoach

Looks like a nice even pattern.  Only questions I have is when you say non toxic what is the make up of the shot?  Have you shot it to see what kind of penetration you get?  It maybe like shooting sand at a mature bird.

strutnrut

It's not steel but is a very heavy load that hits super hard. I would have to get with my friend to see what the name of the shot is. I wanted to stay away from the term Heavy Shot because it is a lot different than te shot that Heavy Shot is using but each pellet is the same.

strutnrut

just talked to him he says it ITX 13 "Turkey Trauma" it's harder than Tungsten but has some Tungsten blended into it.  This is just a startup for his turkey loads. My 660 Rhino was to tight of a choke in my BPS.  It's a good even hard hitting pattern with a less restrictive choke.

davisd9

Quote from: strutnrut on January 04, 2016, 12:29:23 PM
just talked to him he says it ITX 13 "Turkey Trauma" it's harder than Tungsten but has some Tungsten blended into it.  This is just a startup for his turkey loads. My 660 Rhino was to tight of a choke in my BPS.  It's a good even hard hitting pattern with a less restrictive choke.

Same as Hevi Shot 13. Great shot! Will kill them stone dead.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tennessee Lead

Nothing wrong with that pattern. Dead turkey

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

BandedSpur

Great looking pattern, and it looks to be devastatingly lethal at 40 yds. But if you are going to handload, and really want low recoil, you could exceed those numbers easily with an ounce of TSS 9s with slightly better per pellet penetration than the load you have.

trkehunr93

That would kill all day long  :icon_thumright:

turkeywhisperer935

That will do the job, if you want to get picky she'll out 50 bucks and get a primos jellyhead. It'll bring that gun and load to life.

dirt road ninja

As mentioned, TSS will offer better overall performance. If you are pleased with the recoil level and your pattern there is no need to tinker any further. If you feel like your not quite happy with your pattern, I'd look at trying a choke in the .670 - .675 range. I can't prove it, but in my mind the tighter the choke the more recoil. Might just be in my head.

BINK McCARTY

Get yourself a Limbsaver recoil pad....the new one...called the airtech especially soaks up a bunch of the recoil.The model # is #10809....good luck!!!!

Gobble!

That pattern will do the job all day long.

Quote from: davisd9 on January 04, 2016, 12:38:12 PM

Quote from: strutnrut on January 04, 2016, 12:29:23 PM

Same as Hevi Shot 13. Great shot! Will kill them stone dead.

Sent from the Strut Zone

The old Hevi13, the new stuff is 12g/cc

tha bugman

Looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Looks like a killer for sure         :icon_thumright:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase