OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: late fall/winter gobblers  (Read 3799 times)

Offline otinhunter

late fall/winter gobblers
« on: December 19, 2015, 09:56:11 PM »
 Indianas fall/winter season is still in until Jan 3rd. I was all over what I thought was 3 toms until the last day of our early fall season. The last day of our early season Nov 1st before coming back in on Dec 5th I had 8 toms come in and I hit a tom through his breast SMH. My 1st time I have ever wounded a bird. I was curious if the birds where roosting in the same area so I went there earlier in the week to c if I could hear or see any and sure enough I heard birds gobbler yelping and did see 3 birds fly down and heard them gobbler cackle.
 The next 2 weeks I'm off of work and plan on taking my son out to try and harvest a bird. I just got a new blind (double bull double wide) and a new jake decoy. I'm not sure if I should set up the jake decoy and call to them or just wait them out. What is your guys thoughts decoy or no decoy? Also it is bow only right now.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Re: late fall/winter gobblers
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »
Use the decoy. Set it up at about 10 yrds. I've had good luck with em coming in to check out the new bird all times of day in the fall. As far as shooting a bird with a bow I look at the leg on a broadside bird and shoot at the upper 3rd straight up the leg. I also use mechanical broadheads. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline otinhunter

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 11:45:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply fallhnt I went this morning in some nasty weather rain and wind. I heard a tom gobbler yelp from the tree and cmimicked him with the same sound. I never heard him again or saw any birds this morning. I was set up around 50 yds or so from the roost. I tried to position the decoy where it would be seen from the birds on the roost. As daybreak hit I relized the decoy was set up kust out of sight of the roosted birds. I will keep trying

Offline greentag

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 03:08:42 PM »
watch were they are going when they leave the roost and the next day be there waiting silently.this time of year you can kinda pattern them and be were they are wanting to go.i usually do this and i always tag out every fall with my crossbow.i have also had good luck with the decoy but  have had the most succsess with the first method i mentioned. good luck!