OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Drill press advice

Started by WaddleWhacker, November 15, 2015, 08:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddleWhacker

I make pot calls using a drill press and fostner bits and my drill press died on me and now I'm looking for a new one...I've been looking at the jet drill presses and like the looks and specs but I'm not sure about the 3/4 hp motor turning a 3 1/2" fostner bit. Do you think a 3/4 hp motor is enough at 200 rpm for a 3 1/2" & 3 1/4" fostner bits?

mastevt

I would think that with gear reduction to that speed, it shouldn't be a problem.

pappy

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/863670/rikon-17-vs-drill-press-30236.aspx
The issue about the horsepower rating is important because you will more then likely be using your drill press for other projects as well as your pot call turning. I like the specs on this lathe...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Mabren2

I went through this situation a few months ago. I really wanted to get the new Jet, but all of the research I did kept leading me back to the Porter Cable 15 inch. There were literally hundreds of reviews on it, and almost all were positive. I'll admit that I'm new to woodworking in general, but like you my primary concern with the drill press was making pot calls. I haven't run any sophisticated runout tests on it, but I've used up to 1.25" forstners with no problem, and I can raise and lower the quill and renter the same hole without wobbling. I was reluctant buying a "cheap" machine, but given all of the positive reviews and the 3 year warranty I decided to take a chance on it. I'm very pleased with it so far, and I am glad I saved the $400 to be used on other equipment. It may not be the one for you, but I think it is at least worth a look. Good luck with your decision!

Houndstooth Game Calls

I have a big powermatic. Horsepower good drill stop solid as a rock.. If was going to spend the money on pc of equipment don't skimp on the hp jets a good drill for sure I think it's the 17inch I wouldn't go any smaller jmo!