OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Anybody out there?  (Read 3569 times)

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Anybody out there?
« on: November 05, 2015, 06:48:46 AM »
Thought I would check in with everyone to say hi and see how everyone is.  Hopefully you all have been able to spend sometime in the woods.  Been a tough bow season here in VA, white oaks did not produce at all so deer were almost nonexistent in the woods, tough when that's all you have to hunt.  Been off this week for early muzzleloader and fall turkey hunting and it's been good so far, called in a gang that has been spending a lot of time in the spot where I deer hunt so I thought I might have a chance and it paid off on a rainy Monday.  Nice jake, even got to here him gobble once.

Yesterday I got a shot at a nice doe.  Only the 4th deer I've seen while hunting since October 3rd when our bow season opened.

Lots of scrapes in the woods so hopefully a nice buck will give me a shot.  Like I said, hope everyone is doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Anybody out there?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:17:54 PM »
Glad you have had some success Jim! Have not deer hunted much, only been 3-4 times. Have seen 7 does total. Did kill a couple coyotes on one hunt. Only found one until a couple days later. They were hunting live in the beans and when I shot the first he disappeared in the beans.

Focus on dove hunting mostly and since it went out I have not been doing much in the outdoors, except dreaming of spring.

Had a couple slow dove hunts and then finally was about to pick up a limit, first one in quite a while!

Had a hunt the weekend before that I should have done much better than I did but my shooting was way off, my shooting was better the morning I limited but still not up to par.

I am planning on hitting the deer stand a few more times this year, if for nothing else to be outside and watch. It will depend on how I feel whether I shoot if a deer shows up, lot more work with less excitement than a turkey. ;)

Hope all is doing well and look forward to sharing the spring with you fellas again! I will be getting in touch to get the team up and running after Christmas. Everyone take care!

Sent from the Strut Zone
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline WNY Bowhunter

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Anybody out there?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 10:21:46 PM »
I've spent a little time in the woods over the past few weeks. Bow season opened on Oct. 1...

Killed this cool 13-pt on the second afternoon of season...

Couple of does too...

With the freezer full of venison I managed to get out and chase some fall turkeys. Our season was cut back to two weeks...I called in around 45 birds in three days of hunting but never got a longbeard in range.  My wife tagged a fat hen...

Two more weeks of archery season left and then gun season rolls in on 11/21...
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:13:10 PM »
That's a stud! Congrats on a good one. We just started deer hunting last weekend. My son killed a yote and we passed a spike. All in all not much going on. We did see 3 really tall longbeards all with thick beards Saturday afternoon. I'm taking my daughter this weekend to go after her first deer. Best of luck to y'all and be safe there are jack***** everywhere.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Anybody out there?
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 08:41:01 PM »
Had a good start to my Thanksgiving vacation.

Not a huge buck, decent 3.5 yr old, and I had to make a quick choice as he was searching hard but I am proud of him. First buck I have killed since a big 6 I killed in 2011. Did not kill a deer last year, but I am not a huge deer hunter and I watch way more than I shoot. Great day to be in the woods and thankful to the Lord for providing!

Sent from the Strut Zone
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 03:43:03 PM »
Congrats!  That boy of yours sure is getting big.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Anybody out there?
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 08:30:07 PM »

Congrats!  That boy of yours sure is getting big.

I am sure you know this all too well Jim, but they grow way too fast!

Sent from the Strut Zone