OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Henry Davis scratcher  (Read 4476 times)

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Henry Davis scratcher
« on: October 28, 2015, 08:46:24 PM »
I've been reading the Henry Davis book The American Wild Turkey. I had finished the chapter on calls and callers and in it he had the dimensions for his box and slate caller aka scratch box. I had to build one. They are not to bad to build but take a little time to tune and cutting the roofing slate on my bandsaw is a real pain. In the end the call has a real nice turkey voice though it's not easy running the call the way Davis did. I worked at it for a bit before the Mrs. had enough. ;D  Thanx for the look.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:00:21 AM by callmakerman »

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Henry Davis scratcher
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Offline Matt k

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 11:04:43 PM »
Nice job

Offline SS Calls

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Southwest Virginia
    • SS Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 08:08:05 AM »
Nice one Bill.  :icon_thumright:

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
Henry Davis scratcher
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 11:44:31 AM »
You know I like it. Cedar scratchers are hard to beat. Make me a sound file if you get a chance. Love to hear her.

Offline Tarheel

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 10:26:21 PM »
Years ago, I visited the workshop of Hal Hartley, a nationally well-known gunstock maker, who lived in Lenoir, NC, as often as my travels permitted; and we developed a close friendship. Hal was in his 80s; and during one of my frequent visits, he expressed to me his frustration at not being able to find someone to assist him with a project he needed help to finish.  I volunteered to help him.  In the process, I discovered Hal had a copy of The American Wild Turkey written by Henry Davis....the first copy I had ever seen.  Never one to pass up an opportunity, I told Hal if he ever decided he wanted to sell the book I would gladly purchase it from him and willingly pay him top dollar.  Hal told me to find out what the book was worth, then we would talk about it.  I did the research, and I presented my findings to him, and I assume he did his research to confirm my findings on values were legit. Months later during a visit, Hal asked me if I was still interested in the Davis book.  When I excitedly told him I absolutely was still interested he sold it to me....then Hal started sharing more information....a lot more information.  At the time, I didn't realize the book was personally inscribed to Hal Hartley. Hal Hartley and Henry Davis were hunting buddies.  When the deal Thomas Samworth had with Archibald Rutledge to write a turkey book didn't work out, it was Hal Hartley who suggested to Thomas Samworth that he get Henry Davis to write it. And as I was going out the door of his shop to go home that day, Hal told me to hold up and wait a minute....he had something else he wanted me to have....something that should go with the book.  Hal then opened a drawer in his workbench and pulled out an all cedar scratchbox #100 dated December 1956.  This gaboon ebony scratchbox pictured is an exact copy of that scratchbox....exact enough that every dimension and imperfection was duplicated as close as humanly possible to duplicate something, but in gaboon ebony. It plays...but I don't play it like Henry Davis describes. One of these days, I'm going to make some more.....I have my prototype.

P.S.  No, I didn't take advantage of Mr. Hartley....when I saw what he had I immediately told him the scratchbox was worth way more than the book.  Mr. Hartley smiled....then he said, "I know what it's worth. I also know what the book is worth."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 10:15:03 AM by Tarheel »

Offline Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 10:39:56 PM »
Really nice!
Jim

Offline turkey stew

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 09:17:56 AM »
Sweet scratcher Bill and awesome history Marvin!

Offline greentrout

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 10:28:21 AM »
Marvin, is the soundboard ebony as well? That is a sharp looking call. I would imagine the slate striker would help tone down a hard soundboard if it is ebony, but curious as to the sound.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Offline Tarheel

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 10:59:45 AM »
The entire scratchbox is gaboon ebony....and it was a challenge to tune.  When I read Bill's comments it took him a while to tune his, I had to laugh....I know exactly what he was talking about.  I don't plan to ever make another out of gaboon ebony.  The slate striker  does compliment the gaboon ebony, but it plays just as well or better on a wood striker.  I definitely would hunt with it. 

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 07:23:23 PM »
Really great thread. Thanks for starting it Bill and thanks for bringing it back up Marvin..

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2024, 07:49:02 AM »
Great looking call Marvin. It's been a while since I even thought of building another Davis scratcher. Somewhere around the house I have two that I hunted with that Kelly Puckett wood burned for me.

Offline Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2024, 07:52:31 AM »
We need to see those.
Jim

Offline Tarheel

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2024, 11:45:56 AM »
Bill,
You and I have an addiction.....thank the Lord it's not terminal!!!  Just recently, I was talking with Jeff D'Agostino about us combining efforts on a scratchbox(s) to auction for St. Judes or some other children's hospital.  Jeff has a work background in the medical field, so he told me he would be pleased to join forces with me on a project. I plan on building a couple of all holly scratchboxes....and one may be an all holly Henry Davis scratchbox.  My thought is to have Jeff take Davis' book illustrations and use them to decorate the scratchbox. But first, I have to build the scratchboxes........

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2024, 03:34:55 PM »
I hope that happens because I want to see the finished product. Probably have to bid on it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk