OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 870 special purpose super magnum help  (Read 11408 times)

Offline chott2

Remington 870 special purpose super magnum help
« on: October 08, 2015, 08:59:20 PM »
I just got this Remington 870 special purpose super magnum at a pawn shop. I think it's an older 870. Does anybody have any experience with these guns for turkeys? It has a 23 inch barrel. Can somebody tell me about this gun and what choke and loads they shoot out of it? Thanks

Offline Tomcat655

• Hang in there..at least till he's dead
Re: Remington 870 special purpose super magnum help
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 11:07:44 PM »
Man they shoot any shell good but I like nitros and an indian creek 665 but it's hard to beat some winchesters .. Any winchesters.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »
I just got this Remington 870 special purpose super magnum at a pawn shop. I think it's an older 870. Does anybody have any experience with these guns for turkeys? It has a 23 inch barrel. Can somebody tell me about this gun and what choke and loads they shoot out of it? Thanks

Congratulations. That should make a fine turkey gun for you. I would recommend that you strip that gun down to its basic components and clean everything. I'd recommend that you "deep clean" the bore. That cleaning will allow you to take a good look at everything and make sure all is well. It also allows you to get the gunk out of the fire control unit, bolt assembly and of course the chamber and bore.

I own several 870s and they are fine guns. With proper maintenance they will last several lifetimes. Your camo finish will also help prevent rust on the exterior of your gun.

I have shot quite a variety of chokes and shells through my guns. Currently, if you want to shoot lead, it would be very difficult to find a better shell than the Winchester Long Beard products. Even though your gun has a 3.5" chamber, I'd recommend the 3" shells with either #5 or #6 shot. I prefer the #6 shot and like the 1 7/8 oz. loads. A 3" shell will do all that you need to cleanly kill a turkey at ethical distances of 40 yards or less.

If you would like to shoot tungsten based shot, I'd recommend 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot. They both work exceptionally well and will do the job cleanly and efficiently. I also like the new Magnum Blend shells that have #4, #5 & #7 shot. The Federal 3rd Degree shells are also quite good. Lots of choices and all will work.

I use and recommend the SSX turkey choke in Rem-Choke shotguns. The JEB's chokes are excellent as well. Everyone seems to have a favorite or one that works best in their gun and that's to be expected. There are many good chokes on the market today. Innovation and technology are playing a large part in the development of new products and we'll see more of that.

You may find these 2 articles to be of help http://www.nwtf.org/hunt/article/choking-winchester's-long-beard-xr & http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=759

Please let us know what you decide to use and how it works for you. If I may be of any help whatsoever, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks,
Clark
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:40:10 PM by allaboutshooting »
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 04:07:57 PM »
I have had awesome patterns from the jelly head .660, Indian Creek .665, Kicks .660 and H-13 6's and 7's Winchester xtended range 6's and Winchester long beard 5's and 6's .   

Offline gophert

• Longbeard
  • Middle TN
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
Polish the barrel....get a Jelly Head .660...and shoot some Hevi 13 3.5 #7....you will not be disappointed

Sent from my typewriter

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 10:47:43 AM »
After a thorough cleaning per Clark's suggestion, mount a set of quality metal sights on the vent rib.  I've mounted the Williams Universal Slugger Fire-Sights on a number of turkey guns and for rifle-like sighting and shooting they are hard to beat.

Offline ads1

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 08:02:51 PM »
I shoot that very gun and it shoots well with a variety of chokes. Currently I use a Jellyhead choke .660 with Hevi 13 3.5 #7s. It is a winner especially with  Burris Fastfire III optics.
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

Offline chott2

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 08:17:35 PM »
Thanks for all the help. Anybody else on here shoot this gun?

Offline Hersh

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 08:57:46 AM »
I have killed most of my turkeys with an 870    I use a  primos tightwad choke tube with magnum blend 3.5 shells. Shoots like a charm out to 50 yds.  Great patterns out of this set up. And also gun performs flawlessly. Lightweight and if u want to modify with aftermarket stocks and acc. It's easy.  In 3" I use the same choke with mag blends.  Longer ago before we had readily available heavy weight ammo I always used 3" Winchester copper plated 6 shot. Shots a bunch of birds out to 35 yds.  All with the 870 and a tightwad choke.  Hope this help. Ryan

Offline chott2

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 11:09:47 AM »
Anybody else shoot this gun?

Offline Gobspur

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
Got one just like it.  Awesome gun has killed many a gobbler.  SSX choke and longbeards 3.5 inch #6 works for me.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 07:56:10 PM »
I use a rhino 660 with Nitro 4x5x7 or Heavy 13. Hope this helps.

Offline TNTRKYHunter

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 04:15:31 PM »
I have been shooting an 870 SM for many years. This is a turkey killing machine. I shot nitros and a .660 JH choke with wicked patterns. Last year I started shooting TSS and haven't looked back. I recently swapped the original stock and forearm to a shur shot stock/forearm. If I ever decide to change turkey guns, it will be a 20 g loaded with TSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 11:53:01 PM »
I have been shooting an 870 SM for many years. This is a turkey killing machine. I shot nitros and a .660 JH choke with wicked patterns. Last year I started shooting TSS and haven't looked back. I recently swapped the original stock and forearm to a shur shot stock/forearm. If I ever decide to change turkey guns, it will be a 20 g loaded with TSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will e my first year shoot TSS. Can't wait.
To the original poster, keep in mind the shells you shoot are more important than the choke. If you only have so much to spend invest in quality shells Hevi13 in #7s are good for HeviShot and Winchester LBs in #6s are good for lead. I prefer Indian Creek Chokes based on my experience with them.

Offline chott2

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 03:09:12 PM »
Thanks for all the help keep it coming.