OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Why Don't You Hunt in the Fall?  (Read 9747 times)

Offline donjuan

Why Don't You Hunt in the Fall?
« on: October 08, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »
It seems there is little interest by many for fall turkey. Just curious of your thoughts
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Offline JK Spurs

• Longbeard
  • Dirt Nap
Re: Why Don't You Hunt in the Fall?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:40:27 PM »
Not this guy... I love hunting fall birds. Can't wait to bust up a flock!
I agree though...I think a lot of guys are probably archery hunting. I usually don't run into too may fall turkey hunters like I do in the spring.
I like my turkey well peppered

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:52:45 PM »
We don't have a fall season in my area.  I would love to try it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline cowhornyelper

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 08:27:42 PM »
I hunt in the spring because I can.  I hunt in the fall because I've done it for 65+ years and I love it!  If you can scatter a group of old gobblers it is truly a challenge to get one of these old birds that is not 'looking for love' to come to your call.  They will come one step at a time and look at every tree, stump, branch, limb, etc, etc.  Then they will stop at 65 yards and just stare at you. Takes real patience and a lot of work.  It's not like listening for a gobble and going to it.  These old guys don't grow long beards by running thru the wood in the fall gobbling!  I still like the spring, but having a group of younger birds getting together, yelping and talking to 'momma' is something that everyone should hear.  Good thing is that here in Virginia most of the fall hunters are after deer.  Not many after turkey.
cowhornyelper

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 08:43:05 PM »
Sounds like we all agree cowhorn. Fall is my favorite time to get after em'. Outside of states that have no Fall season I don't know why you wouldn't hunt. There is so much more to Fall that applies in Spring hunting. Calling,tactics,flock habits,all day hunting and long seasons make Fall hunting worth it.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline idratherb

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:45:44 PM »
I'll take fall hunting over spring any day..

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:48:34 PM »
I do, Deer.  No fall season here.  With deer season running almost 4 months, I can't see spending time and money to travel to hunt turkeys in the fall when we have such a long deer season.  I do enjoy traveling for those spring gobblers though.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »
I used to years ago in Florida.   Now I live Al and we don't have a fall season.   I would fall hunt if allowed, but would target longbeards.  I have no desire to call in and kill 5 & 6 month old turkeys looking for momma.    But would really enjoy the challenge of a mature gobbler in the fall. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 11:45:35 PM »
I hunt fall turkeys. It is ALOT different than hunting spring birds. A mature fall gobbler is not an easily won trophy and are quite the challenge. At times it seems too much of a challenge!  :)
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline hotrod3h

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 11:46:33 PM »
I have nothing against Fall hunting or anybody that does it. I just personally would rather hunt spring time when the birds are strutting and gobbling.

Offline chcltlabz

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 08:03:58 AM »
I grew up fall hunting and even killed my first turkey in the fall.  I haven't fall hunted in close to 20 years though and don't really miss it.

Its not the same hunt to me.  I want that bird gobbling, spitting, drumming, drooling all over himself coming in looking for love.  That's what gets my motor running for turkeys.  I never got the same enjoyment out of fall hunting.  Yes, a busted flock calling all over the place can be great fun, but its not the same thing.

Yes, you can target longbeards in the fall, but its like hunting silent toms in the spring.  Just not as much of a thrill.  So as long as there are other things to hunt in the fall, that's where I'll be.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of ‘up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Offline KYFrid

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »
I do and love it as much as in the spring. Our season in WV actually opens up tomorrow and can't wait to hit the woods. It seems for me as I get older, I find my desire to turkey hunt grows more everyday, and my desire to deer hunt diminishes more everyday.

I would like to get into traditional archery though one day...  I just like things that challenge me and things that not many people do...

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 09:44:01 PM »
There's bow deer, muzzle loader deer, ducks, geese, pheasants and a guy can only do so much. I tried fall turkey hunting last year. Guess I need more hunting time so I can chase fall turkeys again.

Offline Clif Owen

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 10:52:53 PM »
No season here. Otherwise, I'm all in. Just like spring.

Offline Sully53

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 09:58:31 AM »
I'll hunt turkeys no matter what season!!

Brian