OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Corks?  (Read 3023 times)

Offline cowhornyelper

Corks?
« on: September 20, 2015, 09:00:43 AM »
Anyone know where to get the round (or oval) corks that are on mouth pieces for trumpets, wing bones, etc?  Or do you just make them from the normal corks?
cowhornyelper

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Corks?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 10:11:46 AM »
Make them a wine corks work great.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 06:03:16 PM »
Corks seem to fall apart in chunks when I drill them. How do you work it down to a specific shape and size? Just curious.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Houndstooth Game Calls

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 06:38:27 PM »
I make them out of normal corks. I actually turn the cork between  centers then once the shape is turned put in my chuck and bore it with a small bit no where near the diameter of the mouth peice or it won't stay on there.

Offline M Sharpe

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »
Make them a wine corks work great.

X2
These have won't run as bad with you, nor chip out. Plus there aren't any voids in them.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Offline Austy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 04:17:23 AM »
I normally make mine on my lathe but here is an option THAT WILL WORK FOR ANYONE WHO OWNS A HAND DRILL OR DRILL PRESS.  You shouldn't have any problem finding wine corks which are nice to work with.  They also make a synthetic wine cork which work well also.  If you have a Hand Drill or Drill Press this will work for you.  Cut the cork a little longer than you want the finished Lip Stop To be.  Once you have it cut to length drill a hole thru the center of the cork so that it will fit snugly on your finished mouth piece but not to tight.  If your using a Hand Drill I would recommend clamping it into a vise and once you turn it on Lock It into the On Position if you can for ease of use or use your drill press.  If you know the finished diameter of your mouth piece make yourself a wooden dowel rod that you can chuck into your hand drill or drill press chuck and slide the cork onto the dowel rod so it fits snug.  Using Sand paper 120, 150 or 220 for finish sand the ends of the cork so that you have a nice clean end on both ends to the length that you want the finished Lip Stop to be.  From there you can sand the cork to your desired shape, just take your time and don't hold the sand paper too tight to the cork or it may stop spinning on the dowel rod.  Just take your time and sand it to your desired shape.  Basically you are using your hand drill or drill press as a lathe just not turning it between centers.  The faster you can run your drill the better I think it will work for you.  I hope this information helps anyone who was looking for a way to make their own lip stops.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 02:48:31 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to write that Austy. That was very informative and helpful.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Austy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 11:25:22 PM »
Glad to be able to offer a little help and another option.  If you leave them a little long and sand them to the desired length you can usually sand away that section that brakes out when you drill the center hole.  Good Luck!!!

Offline cowhornyelper

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 08:41:22 PM »
Yep, this works!  I've even gotten to the point that I'm working a hard rubber over a cowhorn tip for a rubber/cowhorn lip stop.  This polishes out very nicely.  If this (Austy's tips) will work on cowhorn, which is very hard, it certainly will work on cork and other material!

However, my wife is disappointed.  She thought this meant that she could drink mo' wine so I would have mo' corks.  But I've notices this hasn't slowed her down much.

Thanks Austy.  Great help.

Ed
cowhornyelper

Offline Austy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »
Guys, Ed sent me a picture of that Hard Rubber/Cow Horn Lip Stop that he is referring too in his last post and it is a Top Notch Lip Stop made using the method that I described above.  Have fun and Ed keep up the AWESOME WORK!!!!

Austy