turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

FAIL!!

Started by bowmike, August 27, 2015, 04:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowmike

Some of you on GA might have seen this but thought I would share for those who are not.

FAIL!!

I guess I should have read all of Cost's direction on making a box call. I am still just practicing so I set my band saw up for the angles. Got that figured out. A little rough of a cut but that's what sand paper is for until I get my table saw. So I have my angles, drill all of my holes, chisel out the inside of the box, not to total finish but get it decent enough for just practicing.

I follow the directions and make my curve pattern. Draw it on the box. So I'm ready to "in my mind" to Hit the band saw and cut out this pattern. So I lay the blAnk down and start cutting her out.

LIKE A MORON!! I forget that I put the angle cuts on there.

As I read the directions on Neil's box call, My next step was to clamp the blank in a vise and chisel and file out the curve with a little left over.

GAME OVER!!

And a couple of hours wasted. Oh well start over again some day this week. I'm sure that all of you cost style box call guys have had your growing pains. A turkey hunter can never really appreciate a one piece box until they try and make on their selves. I know there are easier ways (drill press jigs and such) but I really wanted to follow Neil's instructions. Well I guess I should have read the book first.

Oh well I'm going to bed. Hope you all enjoyed this lesson on READING THE DIRECTIONS FIRST!!!!

BOB_HARWELL

If all else fails,,, read the directions.   :icon_thumright:   :anim_25:
What's the band aid for?

Bob

misfire

We have all done it
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

bowmike

Chisel attacked my thumb :jackson:

BOB_HARWELL

Yep, we've all done it & still do it from time to time.

Bob

SS Calls

Quote from: BOB_HARWELL on August 27, 2015, 10:38:04 PM
Yep, we've all done it & still do it from time to time.

Bob

Yep!

KentuckyHeadhunter

My ugliest ones sound better than my purty ones.  "Good judgement comes from experience, and lot of THAT comes from bad judgment."
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

bowmike

I got my first one made this weekend. LOOKS GREAT!!