OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Opinions on Carlson's longbeard xr choke  (Read 6107 times)

Offline hrpp20

Opinions on Carlson's longbeard xr choke
« on: August 24, 2015, 02:07:57 PM »
Who has tried it Carlson's longbeard xr choke. I am considering it for next spring, but how do I know it will give me a good pattern, and what if it doesn't? Longbeard is a popular she'll so of course I want to give it a try, but I hate to hand out 50 bucks for a choke designed for it if it's not going to work. Who has tired it with the Longbeard shells and did it work? If not, did you try any other lead shells through the choke and get better results?

Offline Onpoint

• Longbeard
Re: Opinions on Carlson's longbeard xr choke
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 06:29:18 PM »
Who has tried it Carlson's longbeard xr choke. I am considering it for next spring, but how do I know it will give me a good pattern, and what if it doesn't? Longbeard is a popular she'll so of course I want to give it a try, but I hate to hand out 50 bucks for a choke designed for it if it's not going to work. Who has tired it with the Longbeard shells and did it work? If not, did you try any other lead shells through the choke and get better results?
Worked out of my beretta.
I got 205 6's in the 10.
The jebs choke is what I decided to use though. Jebs puts up a more even 190

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:10:33 PM »

I evaluated 32 different chokes through 7 different shotguns with 3" WLB shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot and those results were published in "Turkey Country" magazine, the March/April 2015 issue. I shot 3 shells through each combination, a total of 96, through those guns and chokes.

I did the same thing, using the same guns and chokes with 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz of #6 shot.

Which gun and what barrel length do you intend to use? That would be helpful.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline PALongspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:46:19 PM »
Several of my buddies are shooting this choke in Benelli SBEII with 28" barrels and getting good results. I tried one in my gun with a 26" barrel and the pattern was too tight for my liking. Very tight core, but with alot of fliers.

Offline hrpp20

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 03:17:14 PM »

I evaluated 32 different chokes through 7 different shotguns with 3" WLB shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot and those results were published in "Turkey Country" magazine, the March/April 2015 issue. I shot 3 shells through each combination, a total of 96, through those guns and chokes.

I did the same thing, using the same guns and chokes with 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz of #6 shot.

Thanks,
Clark

I have a maverick 88 with28" barrel. Is that issue of turkey country available online? I would love to read your article. Send me a link to it if you have it.

Offline wytrat785

• Topeka, KS
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 07:21:26 PM »
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,53721.0.html

Link to my pattern pics I posted here a while back. I ended up using the 3 1/2" 2 oz.#5s this spring. Gotta say they worked great on the tom I harvested this year. Dropped him like he was hit with a sledge hammer with nary a flop at 35 yards. It shoots a tight pattern like mentioned in above posts. I want to try the 2 1/8 oz. #5s to see if the pattern opens up a bit with the slower 1050fps. Overall I've been happy with my results.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 04:40:05 PM »

Thanks,
Clark

I have a maverick 88 with28" barrel. Is that issue of turkey country available online? I would love to read your article. Send me a link to it if you have it.

Here you go: http://www.nwtf.org/hunt/article/choking-winchester's-long-beard-xr

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline batsonbe

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 12:08:49 AM »
excellent post clark, thank you!

Offline vagobbler67

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
I tried that choke in my Remington 11-87 shur shot 23" barrel and love it!!!!
It will give  200 plus hits in a 10" at 40 yard every time...3.5" 2oz #6
It is the setup that I am using in that gun now....
I paid just a little over $40 shipping included...If you keep an eye out on
ebay around turkey season or just before you can find it on sale.....

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 11:36:44 PM »
It works great for me in my 835

Offline Izz74

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 09:24:06 PM »
Bought one from MidWay USA this year for 34.99  It does real good.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Offline batsonbe

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 08:40:18 PM »
Unfortunately they don't make an optima plus option

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 08:53:50 PM »
I bought one before season, but only got to shoot it a few times. I tried some 3rd degree, terrible pattern! And I left my box of Lb's at home, and never had a chance to go shoot again. But it did very good with win sxp 2.75 #5 at 30yds.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 09:57:29 AM »
I tried that choke in my Remington 11-87 shur shot 23" barrel and love it!!!!
It will give  200 plus hits in a 10" at 40 yard every time...3.5" 2oz #6
It is the setup that I am using in that gun now....
I paid just a little over $40 shipping included...If you keep an eye out on
ebay around turkey season or just before you can find it on sale.....

Hold that on his waddles- that picture is perfect!!!  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life