turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester 1300

Started by somedude, March 28, 2011, 09:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somedude

Anyone know of a good choke for this gun?  I am fixin to get one and need some info on them.  :z-guntootsmiley: I have never had one, Remington man all my life but I am going to try this one.  It is a 12 gauge with a28 inch barrel.  thanks  <>< del
A generous man will prosper; He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.  Prov  11:25
DALES TURKEY CALLS
Stevens 20 gauge
Remington 870  12 gauge
https://i.imgur.com/howRdMo.jpg

jwhunter

i have a  winchester 1300 NWTF gun that was made in the 90's  i have a kicks gobblin thunder choke in  it and it shoots a great . i have killed a turkey at 40 yards!

i dont get caught up all the pellet count and trying to have 200 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. 

bigboy84

Yea I got one and I shoot a kicks also but a jellyhead did just as good in it. With the kicks and heavy shot #6s im averaging 180 to 215 at 40 yards in ten inch circle. So I hope that helps.

Tom Foolery

Jelly Head has worked well in the ones I have seen.

LeviSS

My 1300 kicks like hell.  I used it for several years with the extra full choke that came with it and #5 Winchester lead.  It always did well.

TnTurk

I've got a old 1300 with a laminated stock and  22 inch barrell that put 218 in a 10 and 438 in a 20 inch circle at a taped 40 with a PG .670. I was shooting HS 3-2-7. Hope this helps.

lking

I have done a good amount of testing with my 1300, 28"bl.  My best results was with a PG .670 shooting Hevi 3x2x7's.  With this combo I was consistently at the 245 mark in 10 at 40.  I also had good luck with the JH .660 shooting a consistent 205-210 in 10 at 40.  With the hevi 3x2x6's I was down to about 175-180 but a nice pattern as well.  I'd go PG, but if money is a little tight then the JH will do you fine as well.  Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

SumToy

Put something in the 660 rang will give you a good hunting gun.  If you want to just get into the number game drop it into the 645 to 650 rang.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

BOFF

I have a 1300.

Using a Comp N Choke XXX, and shooting  H13 #7s.

God Bless,
David B.

longhorn

I have a 1300 with a 28 inch barrel. A tightwad .660 got 214 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. A gobblestopper .655 (not ported) got 206. Both even patterns. A jellyhead .660 didn't do as well. The first two are around $20. I have a ssx ordered. If I get it this week I'll let you know how it did. I was shooting  hevi shot 3-2-7 with all chokes.

mrclif

I have a 1300NWTF super short 18" best toten turkeykiller I've toted.I've shot just about every choke,load combo made.Found what this one likes best this year Rob Roberts .640 & #7 heavy weight.

Reloader

I have two 1300s with 28" pipes.  I run a Star Dot .667 and a Carlsons nonported .660.  The SD is the better of the two with hevi 6s giving 180-200 with a best of 236.  The SD also does well with the Win HV 1-3/4oz #6 and Win Grey Box 1-7/8oz #6 giving 120-135 hits.  The Carlsons only gave 160s with hevi 6s, but it gives 120s with lead.

You can still find a few of the Star Dots for INV if you look hard enough.  Great choke in INV guns.

Good Luck

Reloader

paboxcall

I have a 1300 Buck & Tom edition, a 21" barrel and synthetic stock.  I shot a Hastings .660 with #5 Winchester Supreme for many years with great results.

Last year I switched to a JH .660 and Hevi-13 3-2-7.  I was putting 270+ in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

:z-winnersmiley:

Like mentioned before, it does kick like a mad mule, but its a great shooter and easy to carry.

Aftermarket recoil pad makes a world of difference.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

killdee

I have the short first edition NWTF and shoot a JH 660 with great results with hevi-13-7s. I also would highly recommend a simms recoil pad or something similar. Also  the breech partially opens when you shoot, I think its to enable a quick second shot. Ive killed 60 plus with mine with just the bead,stock extra full choke and federal 6's before I found this place and started tweeking.

Reloader

Killdee,

The 1300 was designed to open with full force unlike other pump designs.  That simply allows easier cycling, but it can sure mash your fingers.  I mashed mine a few times with my first 1300 years ago. The first couple of times it was just a glancing blow and I didn't think much of it, but once so bad I lost the nail and the feeling in that finger for one year.  After that episode I read up on the 1300 design thinking there was something wrong with my gun, even called Winchester only to find that it was designed to open upon firing to aid in ejecting the hull. Both of mine eject like an auto from the bench if you don't firmly hold the forearm. I love them, but that little bit of info is good to know :)