OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: First scratch box, actually got some sound  (Read 4152 times)

Offline bowmike

First scratch box, actually got some sound
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:51:49 AM »
I have miles and miles to go with this, but I actually got some sound. I need to clean out the inside of box yet, sand the back soundboard down quite a bit, to get the tone I want, put a sound board on the top, and clean it up.

I just used a piece of oak for now since I am in the practice stage, so I imagine the wood is pretty dense to get a good sound out of. Once I get the motions down I am going to try on some poplar and walnut to get a better call. Just really happy it actually makes noise. LOL I am really enjoying this, and taking all the advice that others have given me. It really helps to have some of the nations best turkey call makers giving you tips and tricks.

Chiseling is becoming a lot easier, as is using the tools I have. Still need to learn to change the belt on my sanders. ;) but all in all I am having a blast. Just hope the call makers that are helping me don't get tired of my questions.

I know it is far from anything that would call a turkey but I will get there.

https://youtu.be/wAVe_J-m3f4

As you can see I ran out of time before work this morning to clean it up the whole way. I need to pick up some glue for when I put the top sound board on. Any suggestions?

From what I am reading the thicker your walls are the higher pitch the  sounds will be. I image the same is true if you are using a denser wood. Looks like I will have to sand down the back wall of the sound board to deepen the tone.

Any advice or tips are appreciated. I think I will be giving it my best to try and make a call that I can hunt with this fall, but wont be rushing any of this.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: First scratch box, actually got some sound
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »
              NICE
LOOKS LIKE A GOOD BEGINNING
LIKE TO SEE THE END RESULTS POSTED
THIS IS IS WHAT I WOOD LIKE TO LEARN
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline bowmike

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »
I will be sure to put it up. I am learning by online tutorials, you tube, and from the advice of some really good call makers. Wish I had someone closer that could help me LOL it is still fun either way. Part of the fun is the learning curve.

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »
LOVE scratch boxes and their fun to hunt with. You have a great start and if you wanted to you can leave the top open. I would clean up the sound board in the inside first then check it for sound then thin it from the back side to get the tone your looking for. JMO

Offline SS Calls

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Southwest Virginia
    • SS Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 10:07:01 AM »
 Nice start. One thing you could possibly do is use a larger diameter bit to drill it out. That would save some work chiseling out the chamber.

Offline TennesseeJed

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 08:28:55 PM »
I searched for tutorials and this thread popped up, how did it turn out?

I've made a couple box calls but haven't tried to make a scratch box yet.

Offline MickT

First scratch box, actually got some sound
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 02:53:13 PM »
A belt sander is your friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk