OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Opening up LongBeard patterns  (Read 6620 times)

Offline SCDieselDawg

• The Boss Gobbler
Opening up LongBeard patterns
« on: April 25, 2016, 01:26:12 AM »
Anybody tried chokes other than the normal run of the mill turkey chokes with LongBeards with hopes of opening up the patterns some? I was testing a new buckshot choke over the weekend and a buddy asked me to run a 3.5" #6 LongBeard through it. Turns out it threw one of the most evenly spread, not so hot "cored" patterns I've seen with the LongBeards. Now I understand that the idea behind these shells are to produce tight patterns at moderate ranges. But I personally think they are too tight to hunt in the timbered areas that I do. And I'm sure that many others feel the same way.  I'll post pictures when I find me a new 10" circle to trace.  But as of right now I've used a 8" and only counted 120 or so. And there isn't but 20 or so in the 2" area outside the circle.

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
Re: Opening up LongBeard patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:59:05 PM »
sounds like you could be on to something
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 10:07:32 PM »
A friend of mine has tried Lb 6's in a m500 with a factory full choke, and it shot 109 in 10", I wanted him to buy a new choke, but he say a full choke will work for all his needs.

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 12:06:43 PM »
Shooting the Remington extra full which I believe is .687..was able to turn some patterns in the 140's-150's with Win LB 3" 5's. This would be a pattern that isn't as tight but better than patterns I can generate with standard Winchester loads.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:02:15 PM by Longshanks »

Offline SCDieselDawg

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »
Here's what the first count looked like.  I haven't had the chance to find a 10" circle to trace yet, starting to wish I hadn't thrown my old one away. 

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 08:26:10 PM by SCDieselDawg »

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 07:43:49 PM »
Do you have a photo of the pattern Diesel? I'd like to see it. I haven't been a big fan of the LB's as well.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline SCDieselDawg

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 08:29:44 PM »
 :begging:
Do you have a photo of the pattern Diesel? I'd like to see it. I haven't been a big fan of the LB's as well.

Sorry I forgot to post a picture in my last post.  Here's a picture of the overall

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »
That's about what mine did too, I was very happy w/ it.  1 3/4 oz. #5`s Mike

Offline SCDieselDawg

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »
Why not buy cheaper/more traditional shells that naturally throw a more open pattern, rather than trying to downgrade the intended performance of premium shells?

Its a compromise. It would be hard to find a standard lead load that'll throw a pattern like that. Plus with these shells becoming the latest hype it's easier to find these than the old standbys, like the standard velocity 3.5" #6 Winchesters.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 08:23:11 PM »
I wasnt trying to open my pattern, thats just what I got. as worked well on2 birds so far this spring. Mike

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Opening up LongBeard patterns
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 06:54:25 AM »
Here's what the first count looked like.  I haven't had the chance to find a 10" circle to trace yet, starting to wish I hadn't thrown my old one away. 

Nice even pattern.