OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: bps 30" invector  (Read 3394 times)

Offline kickin wing

bps 30" invector
« on: July 02, 2015, 03:11:33 PM »
Hey guys , new to the forum but been killing birds awhile. I just bought a bps 30" invector special steel  my first 10 gauge ever and it came with a full steel/ modified lead choke but thats it. Im a family guy with 2 young girls and cant afford 3 or 4 different chokes to try so im asking for advise here. What choke/shell combo will give me good results ? I have read through the 10 gauge section here and theres so many terms and abbreviation s used i get lost . Ive always used my 870 12 but now i wanna play around with my new big 10. I appreciate any and all help fellas . And i dont reload so ill have to shoot store bought ammo. Again thanks a bunch.

Offline Onpoint

• Longbeard
Re: bps 30" invector
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 03:17:13 PM »
Hey guys , new to the forum but been killing birds awhile. I just bought a bps 30" invector special steel  my first 10 gauge ever and it came with a full steel/ modified lead choke but thats it. Im a family guy with 2 young girls and cant afford 3 or 4 different chokes to try so im asking for advise here. What choke/shell combo will give me good results ? I have read through the 10 gauge section here and theres so many terms and abbreviation s used i get lost . Ive always used my 870 12 but now i wanna play around with my new big 10. I appreciate any and all help fellas . And i dont reload so ill have to shoot store bought ammo. Again thanks a bunch.
Alot of guys shooting the big 10 like kicks chokes.

I don't use a 10 but I have noticed most even patterns come from jebs, carlsons, rhino, and sumtoy chokes..

Offline kickin wing

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 03:27:26 PM »
Another question is i paid $320 for the gun and a box of 3 1/2 in. Nitro steel. How dod i do price wise ? Its used but functions great and still looks good.

Offline Onpoint

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »
Another question is i paid $320 for the gun and a box of 3 1/2 in. Nitro steel. How dod i do price wise ? Its used but functions great and still looks good.
Heck of a deal.
I'd say that barrel is in desperate need of a good cleaning being as it was a waterfowl gun.

Clark Bush uses a deep cleaning process that I've used that i.think is always a good idea to start with.

Something I've been experimenting with is using 90 percent rubbing alcohol as a solvent. I'm getting my guns clean faster and cheaper.

Offline kickin wing

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 07:44:51 PM »
Thanks for the info brother. Figured id post a pic of this years arkansas birds killed near arkadelphia. The second ones got my lil buddy helpin.

Offline Onpoint

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »
Thanks for the info brother. Figured id post a pic of this years arkansas birds killed near arkadelphia. The second ones got my lil buddy helpin.
That is a great picture

Congrats

There's some guys that know more about the gun you have Than I do but if it were me I would get a sumtoy or jebs. both companies will work with u until u get a pattern you are satisfied with

Offline 457121

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 10:40:24 PM »
I use the .720 & .705 Terror chokes in my BPS. I don't like squeezing a 10ga. down into 12ga. full choke territory but that's just me. As for factory ammo my favorites are the old 2 1/4 oz. Winchester Supreme XX #5 and the old 2 1/4 oz. Federal Premium. I shoot a lot of handloads using nickel plated shot also.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »
Congrats on the new gun! I think you did real good on the price. Though I haven't personally tried them guys here have had great patterns with the Fed Heavy Weight 7s and the Hevi Shot Magblends. They are a little pricey though. I have had good luck hitting some small local gunshows and have picked up some good deals on ammo and chokes. Keep checking the O.G. classified section, some good deals come up there. I have got some pretty decent patterns with Winchester 5s Rem 4s and Fed 5s in lead shells through a Kicks .690 and Pure Gold .680. Found some old Rem hevi shot 6s that do nicely in the .680 Pure gold.  Hope you have a blast with your 10 and..... :welcomeOG:

Offline Hevi-5

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 03:30:36 PM »
I just picked up a Kicks GT 690 off Ebay for $59.99 shipping included, I think he also had the 695.  That was about the same price I saw it listed for at other places before shipping.  I haven't had a chance to try it out.  I bought a couple boxes of mag blends and straight #5 hevi-shot from midway the other day before they sold out.  Haven't found anything locally but steel shot for the 10.  I just got a used Gold 10 with a 26" barrel.  Hopefully I will get a chance to try it out this weekend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KICKS-GOBBLIN-THUNDER-PORTED-BLACK-TURKEY-CHOKE-TUBE-10GA-BROWNING-INVECTOR-690-/301251435040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4623fc1a20