turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The "It" Factor

Started by Footballer, June 23, 2015, 02:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

What makes you say, "yup, that's what I'm looking for" when you run a call? I like a higher front end with a nice rollover into medium rasp.

For me, the Crystal Mistress has the "it" factor.

drenalinld

Difficult to explain. I feel it as much as I hear it. There is a pleading realism that is felt with real hens and pot calls I like have a little of this quality even when played at low volume they somehow project further than you would anticipate. When I pick up a pot call I run it as soft as I can play it with clucks purrs and soft yelps. I've never worried too much about how loud it would run. I like high and deeper pitched pots equally. I don't think I described it very well....lol

Gobbleandgrunt

I like it when it sounds like she has been smoking cigaretts for 50 years. High front with a roll to a dirty rasp. Most times, glass or crystal over slate gets it there for me.

greentag

Quote from: Gobbleandgrunt on June 23, 2015, 04:47:36 PM
I like it when it sounds like she has been smoking cigaretts for 50 years. High front with a roll to a dirty rasp. Most times, glass or crystal over slate gets it there for me.
this hits it for me too, only ill add that when it sounds like its drank along with the cigerettes for 50 years.

West Augusta

I like a high pitched front end with a sharp break and a little rasp on the back end. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mossyhorn2

I like a call to have a very pronounced roll over. wild hens seem to really separate that first note from the second, it's almost like  they cut the  note off, if that makes since.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I can't describe it but its almost a "quack" in the yelp that I like.  I try to listen to real hens as much as possible instead of champion callers.  Even domestic hens will teach you a lot.  I do know one crucial thing:  there is no young hen vs old hen sound.  That is pure myth.  Anyone who has been around turkeys enough will tell you that.  A young hen can be really low and raspy and an old hen can be high pitched and clean.  Clucking is the absolute most important sound you should imitate.  Just my 2 cents.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

PALongspur

For me it's just a call that's easy to play, if that makes sense. Some calls have a good sound but you really have to work to get it. In my opinion, the best calls almost run themselves.

Rick Howard

However, I do not like to change calls often so no matter what call I choose in the morning, I want to continue calling with that call.  I look for a call that plays well soft or loud.  I like to tree yelp, fly down, putt and pur, and yelp like a banshee on the same pot with the same striker. 

greentag

i have an atomic 13 that has the it factor for the way i play calls,using that call this year was the best year i ever had as far as turkeys responding to a call,every one that heard it usually came,i tagged out quick but went with who ever would let me go with them and i saw alot of birds come to it,there was just something about it,and it was like some of the other post says,for me it is so easy to play, the sound just comes so easy and it can do it all effortlessly, i like it so good i ordered another the other day for the simple fact that mine is one of the first ones with nine holes and i want to try the new one with the middle hole plugged.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: West Augusta on July 30, 2015, 06:52:23 PM
I like a high pitched front end with a sharp break and a little rasp on the back end.

This is what I'm looking for.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Rick Howard

Quote from: Rick Howard on July 30, 2015, 10:20:59 PM
However, I do not like to change calls often so no matter what call I choose in the morning, I want to continue calling with that call.  I look for a call that plays well soft or loud.  I like to tree yelp, fly down, putt and pur, and yelp like a banshee on the same pot with the same striker.

This is why I should not post using iPad.  I accidentally delete parts by swiping wrong. 

What I was trying to say is:

I like a variety of calls for their sound qualities in pitch, roll over, and rasp.  However, whatever sound qualities a call has, I like to be able to call softly or aggressively with that pot and striker combination.   

Bowguy

I agree w lots of the posts. I like to be able to play soft cleanly as well as louder. Tend to favor higher front ends w some rasp at the end. Not all rasp mind ya.
Main thing I personally like that distinguises calls for me is ones that seem to have "pop". Sometimes calls have that, sometimes I striker change brings it out.
Crystal Mistress and Atomic 13 were mentioned n I'll def agree those calls have "it"
as well as others.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Bowguy makes another good point.  The striker can be a game changer for that sound you want.  I have a canary wood striker that plays like a classical violin and will change the sound from every pot call.  I love that striker.  And I like that "pop" too as mentioned.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Jbird22

All I know is I know the instant I hear "it". I know it has to do more with striker selection/motion but I like any surface that will let me drag the front end out a little longer than normal and fall sharply into a short, slightly raspy back end.