OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The Sun  (Read 9992 times)

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: The Sun
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 02:46:11 PM »
Never say never when it comes to turkey hunting. The only absolute in turkey hunting is there are NO absolutes.

Agreed ^^^^^  Never and always should be not be used when discussing turkey behavior.

Offline Cove

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 10:37:10 AM »
The gentlemen that made that statement was most likely playing off information given in a very informative video put out by Denny Gulvas, Hunting Pressured Gobblers. In the video Denny explains how many times he's experienced gobblers approaching his calling location in a fashion as to put the sun at their backs, even when a much easier path is available. He backed this up with a video segment illustrating the theory. I do believe their is some truth to that statement. But like mentioned, nothing is 100%.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 08:42:26 AM »
Interesting thought, Cove. I have no idea if a turkey has the mental capacity to make a conscious decision to approach with the sun at it's back, but this brings up the age-old discussion about whether turkeys (or other animals, for that matter) have the ability to "reason" in such cases.

Personally, I have seen enough evidence in my turkey hunting lifetime to think that they can be "conditioned" to act in certain ways, under certain circumstances.  Negative reactions to turkey calling is certainly one of those, from my perspective.

However, to think that a gobbler would have enough negative experiences in his lifetime to somehow begin to associate sun position with his approach to something would be a stretch, even for someone who thinks turkeys do have some level of rudimentary reasoning ability.  ...Not saying it couldn't happen, but I doubt there are very many turkeys around that have made that connection in their lifetimes,...and if they have, does that act as proof that turkeys are capable of some level of "reasoning"?...

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »
I'd get me a turkey fan and have the turkey between my fan and the Sun. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »
I'd get me a turkey fan and have the turkey between my fan and the Sun.

That'll do it,...just make sure you have your rocks all ready,...that's what I do..... :toothy12:

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 03:27:49 PM »
Rock.   You can use one more than once so I only carry one.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 06:39:47 PM »
Rock.   You can use one more than once so I only carry one.
rock?  I would use a steel ball ! 1 inch in diameter . "Both ways ". And only throw left handed because right handed tear's them up too bad!

Offline Cove

• Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 11:57:20 AM »
Interesting thought, Cove. I have no idea if a turkey has the mental capacity to make a conscious decision to approach with the sun at it's back, but this brings up the age-old discussion about whether turkeys (or other animals, for that matter) have the ability to "reason" in such cases.

Personally, I have seen enough evidence in my turkey hunting lifetime to think that they can be "conditioned" to act in certain ways, under certain circumstances.  Negative reactions to turkey calling is certainly one of those, from my perspective.

However, to think that a gobbler would have enough negative experiences in his lifetime to somehow begin to associate sun position with his approach to something would be a stretch, even for someone who thinks turkeys do have some level of rudimentary reasoning ability.  ...Not saying it couldn't happen, but I doubt there are very many turkeys around that have made that connection in their lifetimes,...and if they have, does that act as proof that turkeys are capable of some level of "reasoning"?...

I don't necessarily believe that a gobbler must have negative experiences to act a certain way, experiences in general shape the way they behave day to day in my opinion. I'm assuming all turkey's realize they're ability to see is greatly heightened with the sun at their backs. And given it is their main method of confirmation and defense as to what they're hearing I would believe it would be very likely for them to use the sun to their advantage all the time. Not necessarily because they were skiddish about their approach but simply because it's works out better for them to see.

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 01:57:51 PM »
...Not necessarily because they were skiddish about their approach but simply because it's works out better for them to see.

I agree.  It makes sense they would prefer to approach from the angle that offers them the best visibility.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 06:18:56 PM »
...Not necessarily because they were skiddish about their approach but simply because it's works out better for them to see.

I agree.  It makes sense they would prefer to approach from the angle that offers them the best visibility.

Yes, it does make sense,...but it also suggests that turkeys have the reasoning ability to correlate the sun position with its impacts on their vision.  Once again, I personally believe that turkeys are capable of some level of reasoning based on my own experiences hunting them.  This would seem to be a prime example of that,...if we accept the premise that they do it intentionally. 

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 09:34:33 AM »
I certainly don't have the answer. An older deer will definitely circle to approach unknown from the downwind side to use it's greatest sense being smell. I don't think they reason this out but do play to the strength of their nose whether instinct, bad experiences or reasoning I cannot say. By the same token a turkeys best defenses are eyesight and hearing. I do know if it is windy and raining making hearing more difficult they do tend to frequent open places that they can see well in. I think it's entirely possible that turkeys instinctively, reason out or otherwise learn to approach unknown with the sun at their back.

So to answer original question, I set up looking away from sunrise every time it is possible. I cannot tell you how many times a turkey has circled me to approach from a different direction that had me looking into the sun but it is a bunch. I think fly-down direction in general has very little influence or bearing on which direction a gobbler will approach from. In my experience in the woods, they mostly just drop down to the forest floor with little direction to it. Usually with hens in sight.

This brings up a bigger question. With me being human perfectly capable of reasoning, why haven't I figured this out before? They approach with sun at their back.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 09:43:57 AM »
NATURE  DOES  WHAT  NATUE DOES
             FOR  SURVIVAL
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
So with this reasoning, we as hunters should set-up facing the Sun?   To minimize our movements from having to turn and face the way the turkey has learned to approach, which is with the Sun to his back.   And I always just thought they liked the shady side of the field once the sun got up and it heated up, which would most times put the Sun to their back on their approach.   Hmmm, learn something everyday.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 03:03:48 PM »
So with this reasoning, we as hunters should set-up facing the Sun?   To minimize our movements from having to turn and face the way the turkey has learned to approach, which is with the Sun to his back.   And I always just thought they liked the shady side of the field once the sun got up and it heated up, which would most times put the Sun to their back on their approach.   Hmmm, learn something everyday.

Once the sun is that high up, the mushroom hunters show up and ruin it all anyway.

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 05:43:45 PM »

Once the sun is that high up, the mushroom hunters show up and ruin it all anyway.

Hey, mushrooms are very tasty!!!!