OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: call jig  (Read 4185 times)

Offline tlewis81

call jig
« on: June 11, 2015, 03:12:39 PM »
im just looking around since its after the season for a jig to make calls possibly I know you don't need one to make calls but maybe some options and prices please not looking to spend a ton

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: call jig
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 01:09:26 PM »
If you are going to get something, get a press.  From what I have seen on here, the least expensive press you can get will run around $150.  I understand Feather Ridge makes one in that price range,...don't know about others.

As for jigs, I would not bother with getting one.  I have one,...have not used it in years because it is easier to make calls without it and it is very limiting as to what you can do with it.  You would be much better off just making calls on a table.

Offline n2deer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 08:10:12 PM »
I have one I use. It very simple.
I could get you pictures if you like.

A fella made mine for me, but would be very easy to make.

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
call jig
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »
I experimented with a few jigs the last couple years. I could make a decent call but very inconsistent. I'm sure there are better jigs than what I was using.

I saved the money to get a press and wish i had went that route to start with. With just a little effort I made some calls close to what I have bought and used for years.

I highly recommend Thads Feather Ridge presses. It might set ya back a few but well worth it to me.

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:45:15 AM »
I recently bought the Feather Ridge hand jig and love it!  After throwing out about 20-30 calls getting the basics down, and experimenting with many different materials and combinations.  I can now make some nice calls and easily duplicate them.