turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Forgotten SC Call Maker

Started by davisd9, June 09, 2015, 07:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

When many people think of SC Call Makers they think of Steve Mann, Irvin Whitt, Mike Williams, and Darrin Dawkins.  Those are all fine call makers that make killer calls.  I feel as there are a few call makers that do not get the mention that they should get. 

The one I would like to mention in this post is Mr. Wendell Lancaster out of Travelers Rest.  The man can flat out make a box call that will just sing.  To my knowledge he does the box call by hand.  I have also learned of a little square slate that he makes that I am wanting to get my hands on.  Mr. Lancaster does not build calls as much as he used to since he had some personal tragedy a few years ago, but if you can get him to make you one then you have one bonafide turkey killing tool. 

Mr. Lancaster invited me to come on up to Travelers Rest and show me some tricks on the box call.  I play a box well fairly but I know there is plenty I could learn from him, even if I was a master with a box call.  I just do not think there are too many people that have put in more time than Mr. Lancaster on the box call.  That is a trip that I will certainly make soon and know I will come back with more than I left with.

My small collection of Lancaster boxes all see the spring woods.  I have a Bloodwood/Sassafra, a Purpleheart/Poplar, and a Jatoba/Holly.  The Purpleheart/Poplar is my favorite of the three but that Jatoba/Holly tugs are the heartstrings of many Toms.  The Bloodwood/Sassfras is not slouch herself.  Just feel that Mr. Lancaster deserves a little recognition with the great calls he builds.  I am pretty sure he will be in Unicoi for the call maker show.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

letinmfly

Wendell makes a good call and he's one heck of a gentleman!!
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

SS Calls

Some fine lookin' boxes from a really nice Gentleman who I consider a good friend.  :icon_thumright:

davisd9

Even though Mr. Lancaster is a heck of a call builder he has no issues recommending other call makers.  He highly recommended both SS Custom Boxes and Lonzo Trice Pot calls to me.  Someone that is willing to recommend other calls even though it may take a little business from them just tells you the type of person they are.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spring Creek Calls

Those are very nice box calls.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

hunter22

Nice picture of some fine looking calls.

M Sharpe

He's on the list Donald!
Good looking boxes.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

ol bob

Great call maker better person glad I can call him a friend.

kyturkeyhunter4

Roughneck

J Lacey

Im forever grateful to Wendell for his encouragement, advise and his support. Don't know why the good Lord sent him my way but very thankful he did. He's the real deal...............

Jeff
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

doublebarrel

I have 3 or four of Wendells  box and one of his slates. Love his calls. His holly purple heart has called in more birds than I can count

gaswamp

good looking calls. Look forward to playing a Lancaster box at Unicoi.   Bob Harwell is another great South Carolina boxcall maker

strutnrut

Wendell,  builds a very good box call and a Super nice guy. Glad he will be there in January.  Nice group of calls

SwampChickenSC

I found it fitting to bring this thread back to life this afternoon as I sit here playing this box that I picked up from Wendell at Unicoi. This Purple Heart/Mahogony is hands down the best sounding call that I've ever played.  It's most definitely going to take a walk in the woods on 3/20 with me.  I've been playing it along with two other fine boxes, a Mann and an Irving Whitt, and I just can't get enough of how amazing Wendell's call sounds.  Not only does he make a great call, he is a fine gentlemen to talk Turkey with.  I look forward to adding a few more of his calls to my arsenal over the years. 
"some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge