turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fall birds ?

Started by BowBendr, June 15, 2015, 08:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowBendr

Do any of you guys make it a habit to chase turkeys in the fall, or do you mainly switch over to hunting deer, ducks, etc...?

Sent by this stupid phone

DMP

Doves, Deer, and ducks for me. 

Never had the desire to chase turkeys in the fall.  Just not the same for me.

chcltlabz

I haven't hunted turkeys in the fall in close to 20 years.  Back then, it was listed as small game in PA, and it had more a feel of it too.  Just isn't the same as a gobbling, spitting, drumming bird closing the distance.  Can be exciting breaking up a flock and calling them back in, but 90% of the time, they are young of the year birds and not very bright.

I did shoot a fall bird off snowshoes one time in college though.  That was an experience, because there was so much snow the birds were staying in the trees all day.  I flushed it from a tree and wing shot it.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

derek

Can't say I'm too big into it either, it just isn't the same as spring hunting and anytime I've tried it I just found myself wishing that it was.  I have had some really cool hunts in the fall though, with breaking up flocks, having turkeys coming in from every direction.  Even killed a longbeard from a group of 4 that gobbled to me one time.  It was nice when duck season overlapped the fall season, so after a morning duck hunt I'd chase turkeys some.. but they haven't overlapped in 3 years.  Without that overlap, I'd rather duck hunt in a different state. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

BowBendr

I was actually thinking along the lines of targeting mature gobblers, same as targeting a buck. Some old timers here in the mtns tell me of never having the desire to spring hunt. Not breaking flocks, but going after toms, poking them in the chest. Making them gobble and strut all the way to the gun. Said it's addicting.....

Being a Conservative doesn't make me a Republican...

canadatom

Hunted fall birds first two years we had a fall season and scored both years but just never was really into it. Too much else going on with deer, duck, squirrel and fishing all at same time. Made decision to leave turkey for the spring and focus on other pursuits for fall.