Main Menu

Hevi-13 #7 Penetration????

Started by jonhaga, March 27, 2011, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archery1

Take a kid hunting

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: 30_06 on March 29, 2011, 09:34:31 PM
I admit I have not done any penetration tests with Hevi #7's other than shooting turkeys with them, and they did their job perfectly.

Having said that the person that Cutt referenced has continually bashed any type of heavier than lead loads, even going so far as to say that Hevi-13 #6's bounced off of a turkey he/she shot. Needless to say I don't put too much stock in his/her opinion, or even his/her testing for that matter.

Mr. Longbeard is so full of it.  He continues to bash any Hevi-13 loads. 

Mag10

Quote from: knightrider on March 29, 2011, 09:44:22 PM
bounced off a turkey :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :deadhorse:

Ok,  Maybe after going thru a 24" red oak tree.

Reloader

I tested hevi 12 #7.5s against CP Lead # 6s in wet phone books at 40yds.  The lead was 50fps faster at the muzzle and penetrated less in the wet phone books than the Hevi 7.5.

I feel hevi is comparable to the penetration of lead 2 sizes larger, IE hevi 7.5=PB #5.

The test medium used in that post(fire board) is not a good medium IMO.  He was comparing dents, which we all know #4 will make larger dents than #6.   On flat tin 1400fps CP Lead bounces off leaving large dents while 975fps hevi 13 blows through.  One may say the lead smashed flat, but I don't think so as most of the CP pellets I've dug out of any medium including plywood were still round and the dents in tin are very round with many round pellets laying on the ground in front of the tin.  

There is absolutely nothing wrong with killing turkeys with lead, but you will never get HTL patterns from lead and pattern density is the #1 factor in killing turkeys.

Reloader

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Reloader on March 30, 2011, 09:59:14 AM
I tested hevi 12 #7.5s against CP Lead # 6s in wet phone books at 40yds.  The lead was 50fps faster at the muzzle and penetrated less in the wet phone books than the Hevi 7.5.

I feel hevi is comparable to the penetration of lead 2x larger, IE hevi 7.5=PB #5.

The test medium used in that post(fire board) is not a good medium IMO.  He was comparing dents, which we all know #4 will make larger dents than #6.   On flat tin 1400fps CP Lead bounces off leaving large dents while 975fps hevi 13 blows through.  One may say the lead smashed flat, but I don't think so as most of the CP pellets I've dug out of any medium including plywood were still round and the dents in tin are very round with many round pellets laying on the ground in front of the tin. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with killing turkeys with lead, but you will never get HTL patterns from lead and pattern density is the #1 factor in killing turkeys.

Reloader

And your the man that got me to realize this.   :you_rock:

I couldn't agree more Ronnie. 

bbcoach

I can't comment on penetration in cardboard, phonebooks or even tin but I can give a first hand account on what Hevi-13 #7's will do to Ole Three Toes. 

I shot my first Osceola just outside Naples, FL on March the 8th and Hevi-13 #7's made a BELIEVER out of me and my Friend hunting with me.  We had a Bird come into our decoy setup at 25 yards, slightly quartering away.  I put the bead on the middle of his neck and let him hold a complete load of 2 1/4 ozs of #7's and put him in a pile where he once stood.  When we cleaned the bird, I saw that my gun had shot a little low and right of the intended mark (I have since took care of that small problem).  The stream of shot hit the lower neck area along with the left breast.  The shot destroyed the lower neck, penetrated the left breast, through the breast bone and through the right breast.  I only found about 5 shot in the bird and those were under the skin of the right breast.  A complete pass through.

By the way, my Friend that witnessed the shot has since switched to Hevi-13's.  SEEING IS BELIEVING!

swampy

I shoot hevi-13 7's 3 1/2 and every time ive shot a cardboard box with a paper target tacked to it or occasionally used the trifold cardboard used for projects and such there is always never fails shot that doesnt pass through one sheet, not two, not three but one sheet of cardboard at 40  yards. I havent tried it with lead or any other load but no doubt one sheet of cardboard at 40 yds wil stop some of the shot.
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

trkehunr93

Quote from: knightrider on March 29, 2011, 09:44:22 PM
bounced off a turkey :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :deadhorse:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:    That turkey must have done a tour in Iraq or Afghanistan and wears a Kevlar vest and helmet as a precaution. 

Mag10

Ok,  Is there anyone that has used h13 #7's on here that would be willing to hide behind 5 plys of cardboard?  I have seen what it did to 2 birds last year at 50 & 48yds and there is no wayin ell I would think of it.... (not ment to be a dare) just to make a point...

jonhaga

I'm not bashing H-13 #7's and plan to hunt with them especially since I've bought up several boxes of the old lot #. But I found it to be interesting that at a measured 40yds two friends of mine shooting lead had more pass throughs than I did. And I had 322 in a 10in circle! Now as mentioned before this was a 3/4 in thick piece of cardboard several layers pressed together.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: jonhaga on March 30, 2011, 08:12:54 PM
I'm not bashing H-13 #7's and plan to hunt with them especially since I've bought up several boxes of the old lot #. But I found it to be interesting that at a measured 40yds two friends of mine shooting lead had more pass throughs than I did. And I had 322 in a 10in circle! Now as mentioned before this was a 3/4 in thick piece of cardboard several layers pressed together.

With 322 hits in a 10" lead won't touch it for killing power. 

Test on a live turkey and then see what you think. 

swampy

Mag10, I have zero doubt that the seven's are killer. I watched 4 birds fall to them last year all from 21 to 47 yards and I'm shooting them again this year. I wouldnt stand behing the cardboard because I know there's enough 5's and 6's in that load to hurt ya. It hurt my feelings finding shot in one ply of cardboard at 40 yards but I'm just stating the fact. Maybe its the so called pixie dust I was finding stuck in it.
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

swampy

It is also a lil embarassing talkin up the 7's then a friend pops a shot out of the cardboard after you shoot it with the 7's. They'll kill every bird i'll ever shoot at 0-50 and even farther if i shot em that far but so will lead. Its just a matter of what you want.
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

davisd9

Have not tried the 7s yet but plan to do so after the season.  Happy with my setup now but with all the talk I am curious.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

goblr77

, is 1.5" in ballistic gel supposed to be the magic number equating to a turkey head and neck?