turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Missed!

Started by Cutt, May 16, 2015, 09:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Should have filled my 4th and final tag the other day, but missed him! Was curious of anyone else has had this happen? Not just miss but how it happened? I was so focused on keeping my cheek on the gun and the open sight lined up for the moment of thruth, that I basically blurred out a 2.5 in. branch that destroyed my pattern.

The bird was only 25 yards, but after starring down my sight for which seemed like an enterinty, the sapling appeared as just light brush as my eyes went buggy. Just bums me out as I  believe this is the same bird I had in sight twice last year with no shots, and the second time this year and blew it at 25 yards. I don't believe this bird will play again this year, as it did knock some feathers off him.

ridgerunner

It happens...I've missed a couple over the years. That's turkey hunting, if you hunt long you'll miss again one day..I missed a bird at 25 yards this year, first bird I've missed in 15 years...not sure what happened, but he flew off, i had the sight on his head, pulled the trigger, all i can figure is i pulled my head off trying to see before the shot...must not of had my head down on the stock...I redeemed myself a few days later and ended up taking an Indiana bird on May 1st..but my season would have been so much easier had I not missed that first bird on April 24th....that's hunting..forget it and move on to the next bird..but i sure cussed myself for a couple hours afterwards...lol

taylorjones20

My cousin and I called 2 within 20 yards this year and he smoked his and I clean missed mine.  No clue what happened.  But I have since redeemed myself and got my limit without missing anymore this season.  I have missed more than I care to admit. For some reason, it's easy to do!  Good luck!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Cutt

I know we all just plain miss at times, but here I realize why, as a 2.5in. branch ate my pattern up. And the issue is I basically blurred it out concentrating so hard. I think at times it pays to lift your head to focus your eyes at the whole picture, but he was coming so slow I just continued starring down the bead and my eyes were not focused right to even notice the branch. But after the shot I clearly saw it with it chewed up from the pattern dead center of it.

kyturkeyhunter4

It happens to the best of us, if you hunt long enough it's going to happen.

jepcho

Thats a bummer man.  It happens though.  I've missed more than I wish I had in my turkey hunting career.  Just keep your head up and get back after them.

guesswho

If I had a dollar for every time I missed, well lets just say I'd have more than a dollar.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mgm1955

Quote from: guesswho on May 17, 2015, 03:57:33 PM
If I had a dollar for every time I missed, well lets just say I'd have more than a dollar.
:TooFunny:. True enough!

perrytrails

I missed the first bird I called in this year. Still can't figure why. 

Those misses hang with ya for awhile. It's gonna happen.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: mgm1955 on May 17, 2015, 07:36:06 PM
Quote from: guesswho on May 17, 2015, 03:57:33 PM
:TooFunny:. True enough!

O Yea!  :funnyturkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

BowBendr

I know what you're sayin Cutt. It's like a video camera, you focus your aim on the object that is further away and the closed in things are out of focus and you don't catch it cause you concentrate on making the shot, head down, etc..
I've done it.

Sent by this stupid phone

surehuntsalot

have missed 4 times, and can remember each one like it was yesterday
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

natman

I missed the first turkey I ever got a shot at. I can still see the rib clearly in my minds eye. That was the problem - because I could see the rib I was actually aiming well over his head. I don't know who was more surprised when the gun went off, me or him.

This is such a classic way to miss that I once saw a drawing of it in Outdoor Life - afterwards.

Anyway, I put a set of fiber optic sights on the gun after that. I don't hunt with open sights on a rifle anymore, but I can put the red blur between the two green blurs well enough to hit a turkey's head with a shotgun. Haven't missed once since, 27 one shot kills in a row.

dutch@fx4

this is why I went first with a red dot and now with a really good scope ,the clearer the better .no more missing birds for me .lol I got a luppy 3 to 9 by 40 vxr with the red dot in the center of the cross hair ,boy I love this scope ,I switch barrels and use it for deer as well with the rifled slug barrel ,works wonders on the 20g Dutch

TRG3

After missing a relatively easy shot several years ago, probably because I didn't get my head down on the stock, I mounted a friction fit/sticky back glo-red front bead and a similar rear sight of two glo-yellow beads which eliminated missing. This year, because of focus problems, I went to a red-dot scope which worked well.