OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Benelli Super Nova, 24" barrel with Rob Roberts 655 Choke  (Read 8038 times)

Offline nybowhunter

Benelli Super Nova, 24" barrel with Rob Roberts 655 Choke
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:05:18 AM »
I picked up a new turkey gun for this season and got a Benelli Super Nova with a 24" barrel and Rob Roberts 655 choke. I'm shooting with a Burris Fast Fire 3 sight.

I was patterned the gun using two loads:
1. Winchester Longbeard XR, 3 1/2", #6, 2oz load
2. Hevi Shot Magnum Blend, 3 1/2", #5-6-7, 2 1/4oz load

30 yards - Hevi Shot Magnum Blend

50 yards - Hevi Shot Magnum Blend

30 yards - Winchester Longbeard XR (sight was off a bit)

40 yards - Winchester Longbeard XR

50 yards - Winchester Longbeard XR

Overall I wasn't really impressed with the patterning of the Magnum Blends compared to the Longbeard XR. I think I also have some work to do with adjusting the sight to the center of the pattern. I shot a gobbler at 27 yards last weekend with the Magnum Blend load and had a lot of pellets in the breast and legs of the bird (broke the leg bones). The bird dropped in its tracks, but the meat was a mess to clean.

Any tips and/or feedback on the patterns would be appreciated. Thanks all!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:57:33 AM by nybowhunter »

Offline Onpoint

• Longbeard
Re: Benelli Super Nova, 24" barrel with Rob Roberts Choke
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:34:07 AM »
I picked up a new turkey gun for this season and got a Benelli Super Nova with a 24" barrel and Rob Roberts 655 choke. I'm shooting with a Burris Fast Fire 3 sight.

I was patterned the gun using two loads:
1. Winchester Longbeard XR, 3 1/2", #6, 2oz load
2. Hevi Shot Magnum Blend, 3 1/2", #5-6-7, 2 1/4oz load

30 yards - Hevi Shot Magnum Blend

50 yards - Hevi Shot Magnum Blend

30 yards - Winchester Longbeard XR (sight was off a bit)

40 yards - Winchester Longbeard XR

50 yards - Winchester Longbeard XR

Overall I wasn't really impressed with the patterning of the Magnum Blends compared to the Longbeard XR. I think I also have some work to do with adjusting the sight to the center of the pattern. I shot a gobbler at 27 yards last weekend with the Magnum Blend load and had a lot of pellets in the breast and legs of the bird (broke the leg bones). The bird dropped in its tracks, but the meat was a mess to clean.

Any tips and/or feedback on the patterns would be appreciated. Thanks all!
At 40 and beyond the longbeards almost always look better, but 30 and in (which  is where most shots take place, the mag blends will be your winner. I shoot longbeards out of a couple my guns. I've killed birds with them, and I've killed birds close with them, but I've also missed dome birds that just didn't seem possible to miss. that said that's all I can get my wife to use (she hasn't missed one at 15 yards with them yet)

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 02:51:50 AM »
Just my opinion.....ditch the turkey head targets and shoot @ 3'x3' piece of paper with all the loads u may possibly hunt with,at this point dont worry about where yr P.O.I is compared to yr P.O.A. Shoot each shell then draw a 10" circle around the densest part of yr pattern,once u decide on the one yr gonna hunt with THEN adjust yr optics to the appropriate P.O.A....Also u may wanna try some Fed Heavyweight #7 shot.

Offline nybowhunter

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 10:55:12 AM »
At 40 and beyond the longbeards almost always look better, but 30 and in (which  is where most shots take place, the mag blends will be your winner. I shoot longbeards out of a couple my guns. I've killed birds with them, and I've killed birds close with them, but I've also missed dome birds that just didn't seem possible to miss. that said that's all I can get my wife to use (she hasn't missed one at 15 yards with them yet)

Thanks for the insight on the Mag Blends at longer ranges. I'm going to try and get my hands on some Hevi 13 6s or 7s and see how they pattern too. I have to shoot the Mag Blends at 40 yards and see what it looks like.

Offline nybowhunter

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:57:11 AM »
Just my opinion.....ditch the turkey head targets and shoot @ 3'x3' piece of paper with all the loads u may possibly hunt with,at this point dont worry about where yr P.O.I is compared to yr P.O.A. Shoot each shell then draw a 10" circle around the densest part of yr pattern,once u decide on the one yr gonna hunt with THEN adjust yr optics to the appropriate P.O.A....Also u may wanna try some Fed Heavyweight #7 shot.

That sounds like a great approach, thanks for the suggestion. At what range would you recommend to shooting at the 3x3 paper? 30 yards?

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Benelli Super Nova, 24" barrel with Rob Roberts 655 Choke
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 11:14:03 PM »

That sounds like a great approach, thanks for the suggestion. At what range would you recommend to shooting at the 3x3 paper? 30 yards?
I shoot from 20 & 40
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 05:28:42 AM »

^^^this!!! got with the big 3x3
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."