OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tagged out in CT!  (Read 1913 times)

Offline RIStrutStopper

• The Boss Gobbler
Tagged out in CT!
« on: May 21, 2015, 11:02:23 AM »
Started out slow today, no gobbling at all. Set up on a field and did some blind calling for a bit, but I wasn't feeling so good today (lets just say I was glad I grabbed a handful of napkins before heading into the woods  ;D )  Didn't hear any gobbling at all, saw nothing.

I grabbed my stuff and pulled out a box call and did some loud cutting as I was making my way towards the upper fields. Heard a gobble off in the distance in one of the upper fields. I cut the distance a bit and hit the box again. Sounded off a bit closer, but still off in the corn field. I set up in the adjacent hay field, put my decoy on the farm road in the shorter grass right next to the thick stuff.

Sat about 15 yards back and faced the decoy. I expected the gobbler to walk the edge of the corn field and then come up on the decoy from in front of me, he kept going. He's now in the thick stuff but getting CLOSE! I figure he was between 10 and 20 yards to my right, in the thick stuff. He went quiet. I thought it was all over when he didn't respond to soft clucks. I cut loudly on the crystal and he sounded off right behind me! CLOSE! I put the call down and hoped the decoy would do its job.

I expected to see Tommy strut by on my left towards the decoy but somehow he doubled back. I just see a blue head peek out from the thick stuff right by the decoy. Saw a pretty good beard, then BOOM!  4 birds for 7 hunts, tagged out in RI  and CT. Done for the season! I'll post pics and stats in the kill thread, I think this is going to be a slight upgrade over last weeks birds.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Re: Tagged out in CT!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:09:50 AM »
Congrats on a great season.