OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Supernova w/ Old JH .655 LB 3.5" #5s  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Hansonc

Supernova w/ Old JH .655 LB 3.5" #5s
« on: May 20, 2015, 02:38:37 PM »
Let me preface my write up on my findings from yesterday, by saying I have resisted for the last two years from purchasing Winchester Longbeards, as I have gotten good results with my SX3 and Fed HW #7's. My father wants to go out more next year so I thought I'd begin the patterning  process now (as I have turkey season withdrawal) with the gun he will be using a Supernova with .655 Jellyehad (old version).Yesterday at lunch I saw a box of LB 3.5" #5's on sale at local store and thought what the heck I'll try them and see what the craze is about.

I shot patterns at 25 yds and 40 yds from the standard hunting position and needless to say I was very impressed with the the patterns it put up. At 25 yds I didn't even bother counting as it was very tight, and at 40 yds I got 181 in a 10" pattern. My interesting findings were however that the platform I had my target on was an old wood pallet, and after the 40 yd much of the shot had barely penetrated the wood. Last weekend I tested the Fed HW #7s and that pallet after I was done was splintered to no end. It made me question the penetration ability of the LB at that 40 - 50 yd range.

Offline BandedSpur

Re: Supernova w/ Old JH .655 LB 3.5" #5s
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:09:09 AM »
Ballistics program shows HW 7s @ 1100 fps to be lethal approx 17 yds further than Pb 5s @ 1200 fps. Can't say what that yardage is because it is beyond 40. Suffice it to say, either is more than capable at 40.