OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: School me on Waterfowl Pattern/shot size  (Read 5687 times)

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
School me on Waterfowl Pattern/shot size
« on: May 16, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »
Like the title says, getting ready for my first waterfowl season and want to make sure I have everything planned out, tried and tested.  I did a little duck shooting as a teen back 10 or so years ago, but I had no clue what I was doing. I was shooting what was provided and didnt ask questions.

So with turkey the goal is an even, dense pattern at 40 yards with a prefered higher count in the 10" grouping. and the majority of the rest in the 20" ring.  General rule was more than 100 in the 10" ring at 40.

I am assuming for waterfowl we would want this spread to be larger, but what are ideal numbers we are searching for?

I know everyone has their own favorite load, choke, and what not but I am looking for a starting point. 

Gun is a SX3 waterfowl with a 28" barrel, I plan to start out with the provided chokes. Seems alot of people get mixed results. Some the chokes pattern great, some not at all.

I was thinking of starting out with some Kent Faststeel in a 3" #4 1-1/8 ounce load with the Mod choke.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bennett

Re: School me on Waterfowl Pattern/shot size
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:10:56 PM »
I think that is a good choice of shell. Do you hunt timber or open water?  I think Kent makes a good shell for the money. I would start with the factory modified first unless you are hunting in a tight timber hole. In that case you might want to try the improved cylinder. I bought a new A5 prior to last season and had my mind made up to buy an extended range choke. I tried the factory modified and used it all season.

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 11:33:41 PM »
Both wooded areas and open. I couldn't help myself and ordered a hevi-shot medium range choke. Ive never been comfortable shooting much past 40, and with the reviews and fact carlson makes the choke I think it will rock in the SX3.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hankyorke

School me on Waterfowl Pattern/shot size
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »
Look for a nice even pattern inside 30".  I would strongly suggest not shooting past 40 yds with 4s, if you do expect to see lots of cripples and dusted birds. You're not shooting at a bare head that's hardly moving.

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 10:17:21 AM »
Look for a nice even pattern inside 30".  I would strongly suggest not shooting past 40 yds with 4s, if you do expect to see lots of cripples and dusted birds. You're not shooting at a bare head that's hardly moving.
Understood, thanks for the advice.

Would yall recommend moving up to 3's or even 2's. I see thats what tons of people shoot, coming from the turkey world I am more fond of more, smaller shot. Maybe in this case the 2's and 3's have plenty to get the job done with more power?

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 10:44:59 AM »
You were on the right track originally, but use #3s for general purposes. It's pretty much standard. 

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 10:55:25 AM »
For ducks ive had good luck with 3" Federal Speed shok #3s(blue box). Patten well out of my gun and are cheap.

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 11:01:19 AM »
Sweet, thanks for the inputs. I will have to pick up a couple different boxes and see what does best. Looks like #3's in my future.

Offline Hankyorke

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 12:23:02 PM »
If I am shooting steel it's 4's in the early season and 2's the rest of the season.  I hunt moving waters 90% of the time, 100% in late season.  In an effort to keep me and/or my pup out of a potentially dangerous situation (chasing a cripple, while dodging ice chunks on the river) I have chosen 2's.  I would rather a clean miss over a lively cripple chase.

Just how I do it, the debate about shot size can go on forever.  I were you I'd pattern 3's and 2's, then take them both to the field for your first couple of outings.  Paper pattern is not always an indication of field performance, especially with waterfowl.

Offline Quackwacker NC

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 12:52:53 AM »
The general rule in waterfowl patterns is 40 yrds 30" circle, in all my patterning with waterfowl loads which has been a lot is that I shoot 3" shells and the tad slower 1 1/4 loads pattern the best don't worry about speed 1250-1450 will do anything you need inside 50 yrds, get much faster and you start to blow your pattern not so bad in a mid range choke but a tighter one you will see it more,with a mod or mid range choke with a 1 1/4 load you should be getting around 125 in a 30" circle try to keep it above 100 and even. My favorite load is cheap winchester experts 3" 11/4 3 shot 1400fps or remington nitro steel 3" 11/4 3 shot 1450 fps there a little more expensive and 3 shot will work fine all yr long!

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 06:55:35 PM »
We don't shoot anything bigger than 4s., the Kent advice is good. The chokes I disagree with but its only my opinion. We deke em close n never choke tighter than ic which when shooting steel is often more like more often than not its skeet chokes., remember the stuff dad told ya bout tight choked guns is old news n not valid w today's loads. I shot 147 one year with nothing tighter than ic # 4s