OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: This year its going down to the wire.......  (Read 18809 times)

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
This year its going down to the wire.......
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »
I can see it from both sides...we've had years where we scored up multiple multi-bearded birds and finished in 2nd or 3rd place. We had a few this year that were multi-bearded, scored as a single, and won the contest.
Bottom line is that if everybody on your team isn't killing birds, you don't have a chance. You have to get to 9, and try to start up-grading, if possible. If you have dead beats or low participation, you're done...
It doesn't matter where you live or hunt, you gotta have 12 killers hunting on your team.

Sent by this stupid phone
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 08:33:19 PM by BowBendr »

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: This year its going down to the wire.......
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2015, 01:04:56 PM »
No matter what happens I want it to stay fun. If the longest beard rules sticks I still want to play and will do my best.

Offline BC

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »
There are pros and cons about the multiple-beard scoring issue.  There are good reasons on both sides for allowing them or not.  Perhaps we should just set up a poll and let all the members vote on it.  Whichever side wins in the poll, that's the way we go,...and we leave it at that.

That's already been done. Looky what won in a landslide.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,39428.0.html

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2015, 01:25:04 PM »
Glad to see things are still "normal" over here.....LMAO!! :z-guntootsmiley:

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »

There are pros and cons about the multiple-beard scoring issue.  There are good reasons on both sides for allowing them or not.  Perhaps we should just set up a poll and let all the members vote on it.  Whichever side wins in the poll, that's the way we go,...and we leave it at that.

I do remember that thread being out there.
I agree, this is a good conversation. The very 1 thing that everyone on this forum can agree on is the fact that we love turkeys. We love to hunt and kill big, long spurred, loudmouth gobblers. That is the only one true reason we are here on this forum. We have no prizes, but I loved the old smack talk threads. We have fun being able to brag....and I WILL brag. But no matter what, we gotta keep this thing fun.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »

You got me with that one!  I actually thought we had done a poll before,...and I even commented a couple of times in that thread,...but just didn't remember the results being so one-sided.  That's a pretty clear indicator that the members want them to count.

I still think it makes the contest unfair right out of the gate,...with hand-picked teams.  I stated in that poll, and will state again, that if we are going to score multiple-bearded gobblers at full NWTF score, then the teams should be randomly picked every year.  Allowing guys from states or regions with multiple-beard genetics to load up teams with guys from those areas just predetermines the winner before the contest even starts.  ...But so be it if that's what everybody wants....

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2015, 06:45:40 PM »
The contest being over before it starts is simply not true. It seems like it would be that way in theory, but the past 5 years results do not show this to be true.
As a team, the Gods of Thunder have scored up more multi-bearded birds than any other team in the past couple years. One of those birds is the 2nd highest scoring gobbler i've ever seen scored on OG. I have 6 guys on my team that live in a region that gives up more than its fair share of multi-bearded birds. They kill the dog water out of them and post them up on here. We've never won before....

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 08:29:15 PM by BowBendr »

Offline Onpoint

• Longbeard
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2015, 07:28:24 PM »
But you weren't even in the contest, remember?  You quit because of all the drama, and I'll probably do the same now.

:TrainWreck1:
I'm a part of a great team with good laid back people on it. I'm considering being done with it because too many people make this thing a lot bigger deal than it is.

Offline n2deer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2015, 11:33:39 PM »
Isn't this fun?

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2015, 10:05:24 AM »
I certainly hope nobody takes the contest too seriously.  And yes, having a pleasant discussion with others about things that they have different perspectives on can be "fun".  I would hope everybody that participates in this particular discussion understands that.  This is not a "life and death" matter,...it is just something to chat about.  Don't read more into it than what it really is.
 ...In other words, "Lighten up, Francis".    :D ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:06:17 AM by GobbleNut »

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2015, 10:19:03 AM »
Single beard or Multi-beard scoring, I ain't skeered!  :OGturkeyhead:  So long as the rules are the same for everyone it's a fair game IMHO.  I like definitely like parts of both. 

But I've been part of the same team since the beginning of the OG contests if I'm not mistaken, and a few of the original team members are still on board as well.. The day this contests takes away our established teams and goes back to the random would likely be the end of my participation. 

Offline n2deer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2015, 08:15:08 PM »
I certainly hope nobody takes the contest too seriously.  And yes, having a pleasant discussion with others about things that they have different perspectives on can be "fun".  I would hope everybody that participates in this particular discussion understands that.  This is not a "live and death" matter,...it is just something to chat about.  Don't read more into it than what it really is.
 ...In other words, "Lighten up, Francis".    :D ;D

Lol I actually agree very much. Pretty much everything I say is jokingly online.

I happen to agree in a only even plating field would be a drawn team. But that would also take away from some on the comradery.