OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: This year its going down to the wire.......  (Read 18804 times)

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
This year its going down to the wire.......
« on: May 14, 2015, 06:35:17 PM »
Currently the top three teams are separated by just 9pts. Best of luck to everyone as we head down the home straight.

Offline n2deer

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: This year its going down to the wire.......
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 09:49:55 PM »
Well is it over yet? :wave:

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 06:23:35 PM »
This is un-official but if it stays like it is:

Gods of Thunder 604.5625 (9 toms)
Crusaders 591.355 (9 toms)
Tennessee Dream Team 585.3425 (9 toms)
WidowMakers 574.877 (9 toms)
Trumpet Thumpers 564.7825 (9 toms)
Spur Collectors 560.729 (9 toms)
Choot'em N-D Face 536.2875 (9 toms)
Guns and Hoses 419.1225 (7 toms)
Thunder Beards 416.67749 (7 toms)
Headhunters 382.305 (6 toms)
Roaring 20s 327.005 (5 toms)
Eastern Assassins 307.7625 (5 toms)
Strut Stoppers 278.77 (5 toms)
The A Team 256.74 (4 toms)
Team Noob 117.8
Full Strut Productions 59.04

I really wish we could have counted all our multi beard birds but the rules are the rules and we abide by them. The top three ended up separated by only 19.22 points. I am thankful we had a good safe season after all the trouble last year. Hope to see you bama boys back for 2016.

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 08:46:36 PM »
The single beard rule really tightened things up didn't it ?
Still not sure how I feel about it though....it made it easier to score them, but I still feel a bird should get full credit for what God gave him...I'm kinda' torn on the subject...

Sent by this stupid phone

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 05:08:33 PM »
It really cost our team. we had several multi beard birds. Not sure how I feel about it either.

Offline n2deer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 10:43:52 PM »
The single beard rule really tightened things up didn't it ?
Still not sure how I feel about it though....it made it easier to score them, but I still feel a bird should get full credit for what God gave him...I'm kinda' torn on the subject...

Congrats to those who had a good season. No doubt, I see no reason to take away from a birds score to make it easier for those who can't get lucky and get one. It is what it is.

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 01:09:43 AM »
Your right on the luck.... Definitely no skill involved... If you can kill turkeys, you can kill turkeys. If you can't, you can't. If you got multi-bearded birds you do, if you don't, you don't!!! I've never passed one up because he wasn't multi-bearded that's for sure.

Offline n2deer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
There's our buddy.

Getting one is like opening a present, don't know what you got you till it's open.

Offline BC

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 09:29:20 AM »
I really wish we could have counted all our multi beard birds but the rules are the rules and we abide by them. The top three ended up separated by only 19.22 points. I am thankful we had a good safe season after all the trouble last year. Hope to see you bama boys back for 2016.

That no multi beard rule is a bunch of bullcrap. The NWTF accepts them in their scoring system and they should be allowed in the contest. Just another example of whining and crying that goes on in this contest. Multi beards should count in this and any other contest.

Would a deer contest not allow non typicals in their scoring? Of course not. What an asinine rule.

Offline Doug Lewis

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »

That no multi beard rule is a bunch of bullcrap. The NWTF accepts them in their scoring system and they should be allowed in the contest. Just another example of whining and crying that goes on in this contest. Multi beards should count in this and any other contest.

Would a deer contest not allow non typicals in their scoring? Of course not. What an asinine rule.
Gotta agree with this...

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 12:05:30 PM »
I agree too. As a team we always have put up a large number if multi-bearded birds. Some as high as 117ish points. Ive never gotten 1 complaint about a pic we took as a team. Ive never figured out who did all the griping...best I can remember, ive never had a problem with any pic from any team...at least not enough to say something....
We just happen to have a couple guys that hunt areas that traditionally give up a couple every year...they are gonna kill 'em !
Guess it was done to make scoring simpler ?

Offline BC

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 05:18:09 PM »
Guess it was done to make scoring simpler?

Nope.

It was done because there was some whining from those who were not killing any multi beards. Wah...... we can't compete. Next you won't be able to enter anything over 60 points because one team can't kill anything but 2 year olds. The same logic applies.

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »
I have always enjoyed rolling a bird over and finding extra whiskers.  We did have an photo accident with one member that we had to do what I call salvage photos. I told the team member that if anyone complained we would immediately remove his bird to keep controversy down. It was just a situation where most of the photos got destroyed and we had to piece it back together. Anyone that saw the pics probably realized what happened because I didn't hear a word. Overall I think the contest went well and Old Gobbler did a great job. I for one wish we had the multi beard birds back. I know it hurt our team and I am sure it hurt some more. I for one would like to see team Alabama back. It would have been fun having them in the 4 team scramble at the end.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 03:59:21 PM »
I'm indifferent about whether multiple-bearded turkeys are counted as such or not.  The fact is, however, that allowing multi-beards to be scored gives a decided advantage to those living in areas where genetic tendencies toward multiple beard development are more likely to occur.  Those that make the statement that everybody that participates in the contest has the same opportunity to kill multiple-bearded gobblers is just plain wrong.  There are places where multiple-bearded gobblers are fairly common,...and there are places where they are unheard of.

An analogy would be to say that any hunter that kills a turkey with white tips on the tail feathers gets an extra fifteen points in the contest.  The guys that hunt Merriams or Goulds turkeys would love that rule,...but I doubt it would go over very well with the Eastern and Osceola hunters.  Yet, both white tail fans and multiple beards are both genetic traits that occur regularly in some places and very rarely or never in others. 

The bottom line is that the contest should be as fair as possible for everybody involved.  Allowing multi-beards in it automatically throws that fairness off before the contest even begins. 

Offline Onpoint

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 05:55:42 PM »

I prefer the new ruling. It don't really matter either way to me though because it's just for fun.

The reason why I prefer it is because I don't thibk a 2 year old bird rack up more points than a 6 year old 1.75" hook daddy. Well, I said that wrong. In his own special way, yes, he has them extra beards. Non typical bird. But in my eyes the hooks are where it's at. That tells the tale. And a couple years ago i killed a double bearded 2 year old that scored around 80 and was the highest scoring bird on our team.

And as far as genetics go, yea I understand that a little too. Some places have quite a few, some don't have many at all and some places it seems like about 1 in 4 is double bearded