OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SX3 Waterfowl W/ IC .665 choke, longbeard XR 3" #6  (Read 6554 times)

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
SX3 Waterfowl W/ IC .665 choke, longbeard XR 3" #6
« on: May 14, 2015, 02:58:39 PM »
One from 25 and then the grouping from 40.  Not terrible.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: SX3 Waterfowl W/ IC .665 choke, longbeard XR 3" #6
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »
Opinions appreciated. Not 100% entirely happy with this setup at the moment.  A piece of the stock broke on the inside, and the speed bead mount doesn't hold zero worth a crap. Considering drilling and tapping for a proper mount. But keep seeing not too because of the aluminum alloy receiver.

I want the red dot capability to adjust my point of aim to match the point of impact. Don't like having to hold off to the right 5"
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline rtp8989

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 05:35:03 PM »
Looks like a good solid pattern, about  exactly the same as what I am getting with 3" LB #6.

I too had sight troubles this year and had to throw on the original bead so I can finish out this season.

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 06:28:55 PM »
Yeah I feel you, I am trying to find an option but there does not seem to be many choices. I can
a) take to a gun smith and hope they can drill/tap the receiver without screwing it up
b) sell the gun at a loss and buy one of the specialized models with the cantilever.

I got the gun wanting to dual purpose it, should have done more research. If the gun came with a drilled/tapped receiver and a 26" barrel it would have been perfect for me.

Offline rtp8989

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 07:22:58 PM »
You may be able to give a saddle mount a try but I am not sure about the options for those with the sx3.  my dad used one on an 870 for slugs years back and it seemed to work well enough.  I considered one for my mossberg 500 but it only connects using one screw rather than the two on the 870, so I didnt really like that setup for mine at least

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 12:52:09 AM »
Wife just gave me the go ahead to look into a dedicated turkey gun, keep this one for waterfowl.  I would like to keep the chokes I have and go with another back bored, invector plus gun like the SXP from winchester. I dont hear much about them though.

Think I will wait to hear back from the local gun smiths on what their thoughts to drilling/tapping are. I am willing to bet if done right with a little red loctite and a couple dabs of JB weld the mount wont go anywhere without some serious effort.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:46:34 AM by 357MAGNOLE »

CrustyRusty

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »
Don't d/t it get another gun for dedicated Turkey. BPS if you want to keep same chokes or look at a 935, they aren't overly expensive and pattern great.  You can get them in the off months dirt cheap from places like Dicks.  If your smith makes a mistake with that sx3, there's no going back.  Good luck let us know what youdecide

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 05:19:37 PM »
Don't d/t it get another gun for dedicated Turkey. BPS if you want to keep same chokes or look at a 935, they aren't overly expensive and pattern great.  You can get them in the off months dirt cheap from places like Dicks.  If your smith makes a mistake with that sx3, there's no going back.  Good luck let us know what youdecide

The local gunsmith owns operates his own shop in which he builds his own brand of AR-15's and suppressors. Its a full out machine shop.  I got off the phone with him earlier and I feel comfortable going through him.  He said he does 15-20 a year usually right before Turkey season.  He said my $1000 gun is going in a $35K machine and it will be done with precision and perfectly.  He also said if they damage my receiver he will replace the gun @ full retail price.

Im not sweating it any more. I would rather do that for $100 than go the route of another setup. Especially when mine patterns so well. I was all set on getting a SXP turkey addition, but keep on reading issues about them having POA/POI issues and also there was a recent recall on them for firing when sliding the action forward.

I looked into the BPS seems over priced for a pump.  Maybe ill keep an eye out during the off season.

Offline goblr77

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 09:05:08 AM »
It's no big deal tapping a receiver. I've done a bunch of them. My SX3 was tapped from the factory. It had a 26" barrel and wasn't the waterfowl model though.