OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Win SXp 12 gauge. Carlson's .665, triple beard, LBXR #5, and LBXR #6  (Read 8529 times)

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
I'll start this off by saying it was chilly. Only 45 degrees, so I'm sure that affected my numbers. Second, it was drizzling and my targets were getting soaked so I didn't swab between shots. Overall, I'm pretty happy with all three loads I shot. I really like the TRS-25 on my gun and this being the first time I've ever shot 3.5's, I can say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Starting with the new triple beards at 20. 2 shots, both were low, but the pattern was very good. I like this patter closer in better than the longboards and you'll see why when we get there.
Now the triple beards at 40. The pattern opened up a good amount, but I'm thinking with warmer weather, the numbers will get better.

Long beard #5's at 20

Long beard #5's at 40...I pulled this shot right

Longbeard #6's at 20...decapitation

Longbeard #6 at 40.

I am going to head out again once the weather gets in the 60's and see what all the loads will do then. I really like the triple beard pattern at 20, but not so much at 40. The longbeard's at 20 are so tight, I'd be afraid to miss every close in shot. The longbeards at 40 on the other hand, look great. Especially the #6's.

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Win SXp 12 gauge. Carlson's .665, triple beard, LBXR #5, and LBXR #6
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:46:49 AM »
Anyone have any tips or suggestions for me? This is the first time I've ever patterned a turkey gun so any help would be appreciated.

Offline The Woodsman

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 05:35:45 AM »
I would go with the 5's. From the looks of it your numbers would be very similar to the 6's if you had not pulled it.
The Longbeard 6's look good too. I would hunt either.
Aim for the waddles if he is in tight to you. You will get him.

The triple beards, my 410 can do that @ 40....

And those are the 3.5"? No way would I use those.

If it can be 45° when you hunt then your patterns are realistic.

Good luck this spring!

Denny

Offline taylorjones20

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:31:09 AM »
I would go with the 5's. From the looks of it your numbers would be very similar to the 6's if you had not pulled it.
The Longbeard 6's look good too. I would hunt either.
Aim for the waddles if he is in tight to you. You will get him.

The triple beards, my 410 can do that @ 40....

And those are the 3.5"? No way would I use those.

If it can be 45° when you hunt then your patterns are realistic.

Good luck this spring!

Denny

X2
Also, I would shoot at a bigger piece of paper. 3'x3'.  Longbeard #5 patterns are good just need to be center.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
Win SXp 12 gauge. Carlson's .665, triple beard, LBXR #5, and LBXR #6
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 01:53:18 PM »
Thank you for the tips! I'm going to get a roll of paper from lowes so I can have a bigger blank sheet so I can judge poa/poi better next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mullo16

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 11:52:01 PM »
Nice patterns.  I would go with the long beards as well.  The 5 or 6 look good to me.  I just got my new sxp turkey hunter today.  I'll b using jebs headhunter .650.  I'll try to post pics when I get a chance to pattern it. 

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 01:33:54 AM »
Let me know how you like the gun. I think I said it in another post on here, but it's hard to find any info on them. FYI, watch your hand placement on the slide when you're shooting. Mine ejects the empty shells by itself, especially with the 3.5's, so I wouldn't want to get my hand between the slide and the receiver when it's coming back. I like the feature on it though, makes for a very quick follow up.

mullo16

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 03:04:45 PM »
Got to try my gun out. I love it.  Shot some longbeards #6 3 1/2 inch at 40 yds. It patterned those shells great. handles great and the recoil isn't as bad as I thought considering the weight of the gun thanks for the heads up on the slide action.   Very happy with it. Don't regret the purchase at all.  Trying to post a pic of the pattern but it says file is too big I'll keep trying

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 03:24:57 PM »
I'm very happy with it as well. The weight of the gun had me worried a little, especially since I've never shot 3.5's before. I'm going to get out and pattern some more in the next week or two as well so I'll have more pictures to post. Mine likes the 5's and 6's in it. I've shot winchester's since I was a small kid, so the familiarity of the gun was a big part of my purchase.

mullo16

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 10:20:22 PM »
Forgot to mention that the sxp that shoots 3/12 had a recall about accidentally firing when pushed the slide up chambering a round  so you may want to check that out.  You can just look it up online and there's a link that you can put your serial number in and they can tell you if ur gun was on the recall list.  Even though  mine was bought brand new just over a week ago and they should have fixed them by now  I checked just to make sure. 

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 10:50:46 PM »
Yea I checked as soon as I bought it. i was still a little leary the first time I chambered a shell.

Offline Lucky Clucker

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 01:17:46 AM »
The tpl beards are good for close range,stick with the lb. if they close aim for the wing butt, and you will not miss.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

Offline Gobspur

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 05:27:02 PM »
I'd go with the LB's 5 or 6, either one.  you got a good red dot on there so don't be that worried about close range shot.  Just aim a little lower you'll be fine.