OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Buckwheat  (Read 5663 times)

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
Buckwheat
« on: May 09, 2015, 11:53:44 PM »
Anybody ever plant buckwheat to help turkeys through the winter? Looks like a couple acre plot could give them some food and keep them around my place all winter.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Buckwheat
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 10:47:04 AM »
I plant it for green manure in my vegetable garden. I have also planted it as an early bow season bait plot. Turkeys will feed on it, but the deer crop all the seed off well before cold weather. You do have to plant it in hot weather so it will make before things cool off in fall. If you want to try it, go ahead and get a bag now. It can be hard to come by later in the year.

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Buckwheat
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 09:54:52 PM »
I found this thread on an internet search before I posted here.
http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46955

I have a quail mix the state gave me that has milo and millets in it. I will be planting it in another area of my property. I currently have a small clover plot in one area. Its over a mile for wildlife to find an ag field. Had up to 16 gobblers on my place feeding corn last winter. Just want them to stick around and make them healthier come spring time. I need something that can grow quickly because I need to get ahold of a sericea lespedeza infestation.