OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Glare/Shine from red dot spooking birds?  (Read 10967 times)

Offline greenheadIL

Glare/Shine from red dot spooking birds?
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »
Ok guys had my new Mueller Quickshot out today in the sun and noticed it seems to shine that orange/red glare pretty good when the sun is shining on it from the other side.  Has anyone had birds spook because of this, or do you think it will cause any problems?

Offline TNhunterKMC

Re: Glare/Shine from red dot spooking birds?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:26:07 PM »
I've always wondered the same thing.   With them being so reflective - they will have to negatively affect you at some point.

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 04:16:12 PM »
I'm shootin with the Muler MX1 1x35 red dot (tube) on my 835. It has the same glow as the quick shot, if not worse. I definately beleive it has spooked birds on me. I try to keep mine covered as long as I can now. I'm gonna try to get a sun shade for it. Hopefully this will help a little
 :anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline outdoorsurveys

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:06:29 PM »
I will not use a red dot scope for turkey hunting.  While the majority of birds will never notice the glare, one day one old wise bird will.  It amazes me how many people are not aware of the glare.

I understand not "all" of the dot scopes on the market put off a red glow (not talking about the lazer bead but the glow from the butt end of the scope).   If you don't know, empty your gun, check it and make sure its empty.   Then check it again! to be double sure its empty and set it on a vice turn on the scope and walk back 15 yards and look into the scope and see if you see the glowing red end.  With most you will.
Try a traditional cross hair....see http://www.outdoorsurveys.com/The_Perfect_Turkey_Gun.html

Best of luck
gsw

Offline mossy835

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:17:34 PM »
Interesting I can see the red dot or what ever I have selected from across the room if I am at 7 or higher on the dial but I have not seen a glow? If I turn the intensity down to 3 or 4 it all but disappears across the room (20 to 30 feet away) but still no glow? Will try it outdoors when the rain stops.

Offline Skeeterbait

• Longbeard
  • South Alabama
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 01:23:44 PM »
The front of the lens on a reflex sight has to be mirrored.  Most of the time it is going to be reflecting what is around you and will just look camoflauged like the rest of your gun.  In some cases when the sun is at just the right angle though it is going to glint.  I have been using them for 5 years now and a lot of turkeys both dead and hens and jakes that walked off have had the opportunity to see the front of that lens.  In that time I have had 1 bird spook.  Did it spook because of the lens?  Who knows.  But the percentage is low.  That is the risk you are going to take if you want to use a red dot sight and be absolutely sure where your load is going to go.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:12:08 PM by Skeeterbait »

Offline Hognutz

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Life Member N.R.A. Global Flatulator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly. The reward far outways the risk in this situation. I can't say that I have ever had one spook because of the glare. There are many things that can/may spook a tom, but this is one risk that I, for one , am willing to take. At least, when you do pull the trigger, you know that he is toast..Everytime..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Offline reynolds243

• Longbeard
  • Lebanon TN
    • Simmons Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »
i regular scope as a glass front as well so in certain light conditions it too will have a glare.....pros and cons will always be there when talking about hunting gear.

Online cannonball

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 08:20:32 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly. The reward far outways the risk in this situation. I can't say that I have ever had one spook because of the glare. There are many things that can/may spook a tom, but this is one risk that I, for one , am willing to take. At least, when you do pull the trigger, you know that he is toast..Everytime..Mike

Well said. :agreed:

Offline eight bore

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:44:16 PM »
Well i have had the concern but have hunted alot and not spooked game that i am aware of.
Coyote, turkey, deer, crows, pigeons. Usually the control is on automatic, have called turkey and
crows as close as ten yards. As long as you don't move the gun suddenly i think you are ok.
There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

Offline redleg06

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 07:43:57 AM »
The front of the lens on a reflex sight has to be mirrored.  Most of the time it is going to be reflecting what is around you and will just look camoflauged like the rest of your gun.  In some cases when the sun is at just the right angle though it is going to glint.  I have been using them for 5 years now and a lot of turkeys both dead and hens and jakes that walked off have had the opportunity to see the front of that lens.  In that time I have had 1 bird spook.  Did it spook because of the lens?  Who knows.  But the percentage is low.  That is the risk you are going to take if you want to use a red dot sight and be absolutely sure where your load is going to go.

I agree with this...

by the time a bird has a time to study the reflection off the front of my red dot scope....Ive either decided to pass on him (jake or hen) or he's about to get one final opportunity to spook off of the white shot wad coming down my barrel towards his head at 1200 fps. 

Some of you guys make these birds out to be bullet proof in your minds.

Offline busta biggun

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »
I try to eliminate every possible factor that could spook a bird. Within reason of course. That is one of the reasons I went with the Eotech. Because they are holographic, they do not need any colored lens coatings.

Offline chatterbox

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 07:20:35 PM »
I try to eliminate every possible factor that could spook a bird. Within reason of course. That is one of the reasons I went with the Eotech. Because they are holographic, they do not need any colored lens coatings.
This was a huge upside for me. One of the many reasons I opted to purchase one.

Offline gobble157

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 10:24:38 PM »
Facing the sun is ALWAYS a bad situation when calling in a turkey. I know there are times where you don't have a choice, but just as you would hunt the wind in deer hunting its always best to have the sun to your back when working a turkey.
Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 07:21:45 PM »
I have an older Leupold/Gilmore red dot sight on my Benelli SBE. To my knowledge I have NEVER scared a bird because of glare from the sight.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!