Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ultimag 835, Tightwad Choke, Win LBXR 3" #5 First post!

Started by JamieDaly, May 01, 2015, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieDaly

Greetings everyone! So, I'm just getting back into turkey hunting, spurred by my 8 year old son. I hunted turkey a lot before life happened, but was just too busy with too much other stuff. That is until the lttle guy said he wanted to go. Yeeehaaw! Let's do this, son! He's going to be using a .410. I went out and purchased the ultimag. One has to seize opportunities when children allow for the opening of the checkbook by the boss! I always hunted eith an 870, so this is new to me. After beating the crap out of my shoulder with Fed T.T. 3.5"/2/5 and 2/6, as well as Remington Nitro Heavy shot 3.5/2/5 with no real pattern out of the tight wad and factory chokes, I decided to try the LBXR in 3" #5. I'm pretty sure this will work. Any advice, suggestions, or feedback is appreciated!

fountain2

It will likely kill, but if it were me, I would do a choke change and try to get a little tighter pattern.  you don't "have", that's just what I would do.  I would also stay with the longbeard shells..5 and 6 will likely get you better results.  often, some good chokes come available in the classifieds here for your gun

congrats on getting back into the game.  lots of knowledge here to check on

trkehunr93

If thats at a measured 40 yards then your good.  I would shoot at a large piece of cardboard to see what that 20" circle looks like, I personally like to know what that gobbler is going to run into to the left and right if he were to move as you squeezed the trigger.  Just my opinion.

JamieDaly

Thanks for the replies. I definitely want to pursue different tubes, etc. This was at a taped 40yds. I counted 166 on the 12x12" sheet. Roughly 50 were on the head and neck. Should I have concerns with those numbers at 40? I know it's not the 200+ I've been reading about. I also am hoping that a bird will be more like twenty in the real situation. It's been about 8 years since I took a poke at a turkey, let alone one locked up at a 35-40 yd distance.

Tennessee Lead

Pick up a Carlson Long Beard XR .683 for your 835 and pair it with 3" 6 shot magnum 1&7/8 oz shot long beards
This was shot from mine 2 days ago. I only shot once so I don't have an overall average  280 shot in the 10 at 40

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

JamieDaly

Holy smokes! I got work to do! Thabks for the tip!

TrackeySauresRex

:wagon: Don't get hung up on these awesome paper targets. Your target resulted in a dead bird for sure  :OGturkeyhead: Take it to the turkey woods and have  fun with your boy. Take pictures,lots of them. Remember these days will go fast. Shoot em up  :turkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

turkeywhisperer935

BandedSpur

Definitely shoot at a large piece of paper to see exactly where the center of your pattern is hitting. And I think you will find it much easier to hit a turkey at 35-40 yds with Winch LBs than you will at 20. Shoot at paper at 20 yds and you will see what I mean.

Have fun with your son.

Gobble!

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on May 01, 2015, 12:11:21 PM
Pick up a Carlson Long Beard XR .683 for your 835 and pair it with 3" 6 shot magnum 1&7/8 oz shot long beards
This was shot from mine 2 days ago. I only shot once so I don't have an overall average  280 shot in the 10 at 40

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Those long beards are something else!

davisd9

You will kill birds all day with your setup.  If you want to try a few things then go ahead.  Biggest pieces of advice I can share is shoot #5s if you are using the longbeards and do not get into chasing numbers.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

Your good. I'd follow trkehuner93's advise and shoot your current load at a big piece of paper. Getting that Mossy to shoot won't be a problem. The more interesting gun is going to be that .410 what's your plans for that?

stewart

Referring to the original target posted back in May 2015 (835 w/ Primos Tightwad), I agree that it's a good pattern at 40 yards considering it was shot with 1-3/4 oz. of #5 LEAD shot. Consider also that the seemingly denser pattern below it from a Carlson LBXR was patterned with 1-7/8 oz. #6 LEAD and has 40% more pellets. Even though the #6 pattern may seem more dense with regard to numbers, I see some troubling gaps fairly close to the core that exceed 2". Usually that's due to over-choking.

We can't see much of the 835 w/Tightwad pattern fringes but it looks like the center of the pattern could be one to two inches to the right of the neck but even so it would've killed; that's exactly what you want. I'd be very comfortable with that pattern. Keep in mind that this is an analysis of only one shot from each combo; that's not really enough to prove or disprove much.

wvhoyt19

stewart

Do you mean you like the shells?, the choke? or both?

Ridgerunner and several others have had good results with Win LB and various chokes in the .665 range, which is about standard extra full for the standard bore 12 gauge. I wonder though that the ultimag sized tubes with constrictions under .690 aren't too much choke for the Win LB shotshells...(?)