turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Central Machinery Lathe?

Started by BABS9, April 30, 2015, 12:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BABS9

Well I have been looking/researching different lathes looking for something reliable to get started on turning my own strikers and pot calls. I have been looking at the Central Machinery 10x18 5 variable speed lathe which is in stock at my local harbor freight. Was wondering if this would be a good lathe to start out on and if anyone has any experience with it?
Thanks
Billy

Mabren2

Since no one has chimed in, I'll give you my opinion. I am new to lathes too, so you can keep that in mind. I did a lot of research when I recently bought my lathe, and I seriously considered this same machine. It seemed to get pretty good reviews, and about every thread I found with a discussion had several that said they used it with no problems, and a few that said they wouldn't touch it. When you look at lathes, I think you should consider other projects besides pot calls. I definitely needed a mini/midi machine because of room, but I knew I also wanted to try to make more than just pot calls.

The simple answer is through everything I found, yes I am confident that this machine will be perfectly adequate for making pot calls. Some will trash HF's quality, and I also saw concerns over finding parts. The price is definitely right. However, the more I looked the more I felt like I wanted to get the best machine I could, rather than start cheap and upgrade. My reasoning for this was I found a new open box jet 1221vs for $450 ($799 retail). Even though I was spending double, I felt like my true money at risk was roughly the same, because there will be a lot higher demand for the jet. You're just not going to get much resale value on a used HF lathe, when you can buy them new for $200. I was able to get a bigger machine with electronic vs, and I gurantee you I will lose no more money on it than I would the HF if I decide it's not for me.

This will be a long term purchase with proper maintenance, so do your research and get the best you can afford. If the HF Is your only viable option, I say go for it. It's plenty of machine to do what you stated. Just make sure you check it out very well when you get it. I read several post that said it took 2-3 tries to get one that wasn't  out of line, etc. Good luck, and have fun!

Rick Howard

I do a lot of turning.  Not just calls.  I turn many boxes and ornaments around the holidays.  I have turned: spindles, pens, bottle stoppers, beer taps, lawn ornaments, planters, wall decore, cutting boards, platters, spoons, goblets, this list just goes on.  My point, you may start with just calls... but I bet it leads to other turning projects which are scaled to the size of your lathe.

I find working on a large lathe more comfortable.  So I reccomend a larger lathe if you you can fit it.

Before you buy anything.  Look for a local turning club and go to one of their meetings.  Often times you can find someone there willing to help you find what your looking for.  Also they might know of good deals. 

Check craigslist.  You can sometimes find fantastic lathes on there for a good deal. Often times guys over value what they have though.  Above post made a great point.  If you buy a branded lathe that is more sought after, you will have a better resale value. 

I have turned on Jet, Delta, Rikon, and HF lathes.   At its most basic level turning is turning.  With some inventiveness you do not need the extras that some lathes offer.  They are nice but not needed. 

I sold my Rikon VS Mini lathe.  I still have a HF 12x36.  I would reccomend this lathe but I would also inform...  This lathe varies speed with a reeves drive system.  It can be problematic if not cared for.  The low speed is on the fast side for sanding and finishing.  It is not too fast.  It just requires you to be more careful not to ruin your piece.  I have turned some pretty awesome stuff on this lathe... and no one could tell it was turned on a $279.99 lathe and not a $1299.99 lathe.  Granted if it breaks down.. I have to fix it on my dime...  I am still $900 less than the Jet equivalent of my lathe.

I know you did not ask for all this but... most people considering turning do not know all that is involved.  So I want to help you get going as fast as you would like to.

This last bit is very important.  Having a lathe does not mean your ready to turn.  You need "chisels" too.  Then you need a way to sharpen those chisels.  Then you might consider chucks for holding your piece.  Some of those chucks have changeable jaws.  The list of extra "stuff" can get quite extensive and down right daunting.  I am not trying to discourage you so do not fret, if you went to that turning club meeting, you have someone to show you what your looking for in person.  Most clubs do not require you to join to attend a meeting.  Most of the members will help you and let you be on your way.  Joining is the better option but not a requirement most places. 

I am willing to help answer any question you might have about turning also.  Just ask.       

outdoors

I HAVE THE MINI HARBOR FREIGHT MY FIRST ONE AND I DO USE IT
NO PROBLEMS IT'S ABOUT 2 1/2  YRS. OLD
I USE IT JUST ABOUT ONE DAY A WEAK , ONE OF MY DAYS OFF
                            :icon_thumright:   :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

mmclain

get a book on wood turning .........start there.........otherwise you are guessing on method....Sharpening..... tool and equipment selection...

if you don't know how to properly grind/sharpen your tools........your makin' life hard....

harbor freight..............Junk :z-twocents:

get a jet or one of greater quality......the Lathe is the cheep part of turning.....

A Vicmarc will last you a life time....but it is $$$$

BABS9

Thanks for the replies! Ended up finding a Jet mini lathe on craigslist with a bunch of tools and a chuck for a great price. Should work out great.