Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Almost time!!!

Started by WNY Bowhunter, April 30, 2015, 06:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNY Bowhunter

Just got in from my final preseason scouting trip and man am I jacked up to get out in the turkey woods with the shotgun in my hands. It's been a LONG 11 months since last season!!!

First, I checked out the spot that I am hunting tomorrow morning...bingo...right where they have been for the past 4 mornings straight...roosted right on the gulley. I set a trail cam out up last week to try to monitor movement...ended up getting pics of a pair of longbeards with several hens on 3 of the past 5 mornings.  They will have a surprise waiting for them in about 22 hours...

Also checked out the farm where we killed the youth gobbler on saturday and there were several birds fired up in all directions!!!

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

davisd9

I am jealous.  My hunt tomorrow will probably be a lot of blind calling and sitting where they should be at feeding.  Hopefully a couple ol boys still want to play the game though!  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

trkehunr93

Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNY Bowhunter

Three days in and things are super frustrating...henned up birds with very little gobbling after flydown.

Day 1:

Had the two gobblers from the pics roosted within 80 yds of us. I called the hens out into the field with the two strutters following behind. We were set up thinking they would come from above us so they never saw the decoys. They wanted to come in to investigate in the worst way but wouldn't leave their girlfriends...

Day 2:

Back after these two. They roosted in the same spot, I was setup in the groundblind closer than the previous morning with bmobile setup to entice them into range. They hammered on the roost but ended up flying down across the ravine on the neighbors.

Today:

My wife was sitting in the blind and I was on the upper side near the property line where the birds have gone for the past two mornings. Sun up came with no gobbling...they must have roosted somewhere else last night. Two hens came out on to the cornfield but their boyfriends were MIA. I'll try them again tomorrow morning, hopefully they will return to the normal roosting area.
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."