turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opening Day Mistake...

Started by RIStrutStopper, April 29, 2015, 03:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIStrutStopper

Got out this morning, no gobbling whatsoever. Set-up on a field edge and put a single hen decoy out about 20 yards into the field. After about a half hour of blind calling, thought I heard something behind me but was focused on some movement on the far right of the field. Made a few clucks and hear a gobble off to my left. Shifted my eyes to see a bird standing about 30 yards from me off to my left. He came in silently out of nowhere. No excuse, but I've been having trouble with my old eyes. Last night, couldn't even see the sights on my gun, but that's another story. This morning, I was able to see the sights well enough so I eased my gun over to the left as he was closing the distance. I settled on his neck and shot. Bad shot, hit him but he took off running. I took a shot while he was on the run and dropped him. Ran over to find that I had just shot a Jake (oh the shame....) I really didn't realize it until I got to him. He's a big 14.1 pound bird that scores 25.6. Hopefully I'll be able to beat him but I can post some pics if you all want me to.

Snoodsniper

Well Jakes are tasty so don't be too hard on yourself! There's more where he came from.

harleytom

No shame in killing a jake, if it's legal where you hunt. I killed one in mid-April, out of frustration more than anything else, as it's legal game here. I expect he will taste mighty good coming out of my smoker at Thanksgiving. I know what you mean about old eyes. Not sure I could shoot very well at all without my EoTech red dot. Keep after them, Mr. Big will show up eventually.

jblackburn

No judging from me!  I've killed more than my fair share of them!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.