OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Switching from a 23" Barrell to a 26" on My SP-10  (Read 3103 times)

Offline ElkTurkMan

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Switching from a 23" Barrell to a 26" on My SP-10
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:15:05 AM »
Guys I currently have a 23' barrel on my SP-10.  It has adjustable sights on the barrel.  I have a saddle mount with a red dot mounted on my gun, and because of the adjustable sights on the barrel when I look under the saddle I can't see the front bead, so therefore I pretty much stuck with just using the red dot and I would like the option of using the bead, case my battery ever dies.  That has always bothered me and last night I put my 26" barrel in which just has a bead.  With that barrel I can look under the saddle and use the bead if need be.  The three extra inches of the barrel don't seem like they will make much of  difference in weight or maneuvering the gun around.  My question is how will this effect my pattern?  I currently I am shooting a Kicks .690 and Federal HW #7's.  I will definitely test this myself and shoot the 26" barrel before hunting but was just curious on everyone else thoughts on this.  Thanks in advance for info or advise.

Offline SP-10 Fan

Re: Switching from a 23" Barrell to a 26" on My SP-10
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 12:10:29 AM »
I've always been told, by the guys that know (Still Shoot champions), with everything else being equal, the longer barrel will shoot a tighter pattern than a shorter barrel.  My SP-10 came with a 26" barrel.  It shot the lights out with Nitro Ammo and a Rhino Choke.  I was simply following the advice of the experts.  I finally got the itch and purchased a 30" barrel and had Denny Tubbs polish it and he also made a choke for me.  I never could really distinguish any pattern differences between the 26" barrel and the 30" barrel.  The most prominent difference was the 30" barrel made carrying my SP-10 a real chore...especially if I had it slung over my shoulder.  I think there was enough barrel above my head to fly a flag from it.  I went back to the 26" barrel and it will absolutely obliterate a 10" circle at 50 yards using Nitro Ammo #4 Hevi Shot.  I load TSS also, but frankly, there's really no reason to, not as long as my supply of Nitro Ammo holds out.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 07:15:36 PM »
The 26 inch sp10 barrel. Is actually a 25 inch barrel ,  I had a spare 25 inch barrel and it shot exactly like the 23 and that's why I sold it to another hunter

There was very little difference in the 23 to the 26 (25) in carry and handling , but I will say I've lifted a 30 ...and it is a chore to heft up and hold there

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline SP-10 Fan

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 12:39:34 AM »
The 26 inch sp10 barrel. Is actually a 25 inch barrel ,  I had a spare 25 inch barrel and it shot exactly like the 23 and that's why I sold it to another hunter

There was very little difference in the 23 to the 26 (25) in carry and handling , but I will say I've lifted a 30 ...and it is a chore to heft up and hold there
I stand corrected sir!  Thank you for saving me from making the same mistake again.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 06:08:21 PM »

I stand corrected sir!  Thank you for saving me from making the same mistake again.
the mistake is on Remington's part , they know the 26 is a all around barrel that most waterfowl and turkey hunters will compromise buy purchasing it

Mine was 25 , perhaps others are really 26 ?

I suspect the distances between the rib on the sp 10 limit the length they can offer the gun barrel , 2 inches or so I guess , you may want to take your barrel out of your 30 inch and measure from the breach to muzzle and see if it is indeed a 30 incher
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline SP-10 Fan

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 10:26:02 PM »

the mistake is on Remington's part , they know the 26 is a all around barrel that most waterfowl and turkey hunters will compromise buy purchasing it

Mine was 25 , perhaps others are really 26 ?

I suspect the distances between the rib on the sp 10 limit the length they can offer the gun barrel , 2 inches or so I guess , you may want to take your barrel out of your 30 inch and measure from the breach to muzzle and see if it is indeed a 30 incher
My 30" barrel is actually 30.25".

Offline ElkTurkMan

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »
Thanks Guys for the input.