OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Bearded hen, a psycho squirrel, and other interesting stuff from the card checks

Started by michiganbowbender, April 26, 2015, 08:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michiganbowbender

Lifetime Member of  "The Few The Proud"

michiganbowbender

WV TURKEY THUG

put a brown mineral block out from the feed store them fox squirrels love them. when i had a trail cam on one there was squirrels there everyday. more fox then grays. Dont put them out were baiting squirrels are illegal.

michiganbowbender

Before we were put under a mineral/bait ban here in August of 2009 I put out many a mineral/grain  block of some type and it attracted all kinds of wildlife. We can still put stuff out from early Oct until the first of the year but only in limited amount and widely scattered so that pretty much eliminated that practice as a means of attracting animals/birds to the cam locations.

WV TURKEY THUG

Quote from: michiganbowbender on April 26, 2015, 03:43:16 PM
Before we were put under a mineral/bait ban here in August of 2009 I put out many a mineral/grain  block of some type and it attracted all kinds of wildlife. We can still put stuff out from early Oct until the first of the year but only in limited amount and widely scattered so that pretty much eliminated that practice as a means of attracting animals/birds to the cam locations.
ohh didnt know you guys had that kind of regulation. them minerals sure do help the deer out. here in wv we cant put out attractants year round on private property. we cant bait turkeys though. but who would want to bait them anyways. its kinda stupid they banned minerals in the best time to put them out for deer they need it now not in oct. lol

michiganbowbender

Couldn't agree more but it was from all appearances a knee jerk reaction from our DNR when a single, pen raised deer from a privately owned deer breeding business tested positive for Chronic Wasting Disease.
99% of the time I staunchly support our Department of Natural Resources Division, what they do and what they stand for but in this case I feel they were, and continue to be, wrong in their policies.
When the animals might most benefit from having additional minerals in their diet they are no longer available for them at least from a supplemental source. The animals have been stressed all winter, by mid May most of the does will be dropping their fawns and additionally the bucks are just now beginning the antler development phase. It makes no sense to me but that's just my :z-twocents: opinion.

mgm1955

trkehunr93