OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: finally able to use diaphram calls  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Bigeclipse

finally able to use diaphram calls
« on: April 20, 2015, 08:31:52 AM »
Well after a few months of practicing, I can finally say that I can use diaphragm calls very well. I can yelp and cluck really well.  My purrs aren't the greatest so I will leave those for the slate until I get better but it is nice to know I can have a diaphragm in my mouth for when the turkeys are in eye sight and I need to try and call them a bit closer!

Offline bamagtrdude

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: finally able to use diaphram calls
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »
Obviously!!  You killed a bird!  :)  BTW, here's a little something I cut over the weekend to help you with your purring: https://youtu.be/ylltgjskh54
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Offline Bigeclipse

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
Obviously!!  You killed a bird!  :)  BTW, here's a little something I cut over the weekend to help you with your purring: https://youtu.be/ylltgjskh54

funny you should say that.  When I first heard him gobbling I used my slate.  He responded.  I used it again....no response.  I switched to my mouth call and bam, gobble. did another and he kept gobbling all the way. Not to say my mouth calling is better than slate but he thought so anyway haha

Offline bamagtrdude

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »

funny you should say that.  When I first heard him gobbling I used my slate.  He responded.  I used it again....no response.  I switched to my mouth call and bam, gobble. did another and he kept gobbling all the way. Not to say my mouth calling is better than slate but he thought so anyway haha

Heck yes!!  Lay whatever on him gets him fired up!  Good work, man!!
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Offline JuniorPre 360

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 01:10:06 PM »
Well after a few months of practicing, I can finally say that I can use diaphragm calls very well. I can yelp and cluck really well.  My purrs aren't the greatest so I will leave those for the slate until I get better but it is nice to know I can have a diaphragm in my mouth for when the turkeys are in eye sight and I need to try and call them a bit closer!

Feel free to post some pointers or videos you may have learned from. I tried to get this down before my hunt, but failed. Also, which call were you using?

Offline Bigeclipse

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 03:58:19 PM »

Feel free to post some pointers or videos you may have learned from. I tried to get this down before my hunt, but failed. Also, which call were you using?

Honestly I really cant describe what I did. Im sure you youtube all the videos I did and nothing seemed to work.  All I did was kept trying the mouth call in many different positions on my tongue and roof of my mouth blowing hard and soft...etc.  I was hyperventilating at points haha.  BUT the more I did it, sometime I would get it to sound right.  I then would keep trying it in that position and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't etc. It is kind of like learning to whistle in the sense that someone can tell you how to do it but you need to keep trying and trying and trying until you find how your mouth needs to be in order to whistle.  Same thing here......I honestly must have tried 8 different styles of mouth calls.  I would leave a call in my car and every day to and from work id practice instead of listening to the radio.  Once you get it, you can make ANY call work.  Yes some sound better than others and some seem to be a "little" bit easier to use but honestly I wouldn't waist your money on a bunch of different calls hoping that is the answer.  Id buy a few different styles (how the latex is cut is the important part for what I mean being different not the brand). Keep trying every day. One day, you will suddenly get it to sound kind of right.  Remember how you had it in your mouth and keep trying.