turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Reloading for 10 gauge

Started by Bowhnt, March 14, 2015, 09:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowhnt

I currently own one side by side ten gauge now that I use to occasionally goose hunt with, but I have a new browning gold 10 on order that should be here in a couple weeks.  I have decided that with the price of ammo and the selection of ammo for them I want to start reloading.  I reload now for some pistol calibers but shotgun is very new to me.   I want to be able to load 3 1/2 inch turkey loads and goose loads.   Where do I start? I have been researching online but the info for ten gauge out there seems to be limited.  I had considered buying a roll crimp tool and loading by hand but it appears that I can't load     
3 1/2 inch shells this way. I have a lead on a press for sale  but I believe the guy may have the models mixed up. He says he has a mec 650 jr that will load 3 1/2 inch ten gauge. I can't find a 650 jr listed on mecs website. Can anyone shed some light on this press or give a recommendation on a different one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Ward

I'm looking to do the same thing myself. I was on the B.P.I. website  and the Mec website looking up info. If I remember right they did list the 650 jr model in 10 gauge, but I'm not 100% positive. I was at one of our local sporting goods stores last week and they had the sizemaster and steelmaster mecs there in stock for the 10 gauge. I haven't loaded shotshells in over 25 years so I have been talking to a few guys I know that are pretty experienced for a refresher course.I am more interested in loading up some steel for waterfowl and also some "plinker" loads for practice and fun. I had a pretty big hit to my financial situation due to an unforeseen medical issue, but I'm going to do my research and when I'm able to I will purchase a loader.I still have my barrel project I want to do on my 10 yet also, but I might go the loader route first. Check out the B.P.I. website if you haven't already and check out their archived load section. Lot of interesting stuff. Good luck and let me know what route you end up going! 

decoykrvr

If you are going to reload for a semiauto shotgun you need to utilize a Sizemaster reloader which is designed with a collet to resize the base.  I've reloaded 28-10 gauges for over 35 years, and, it is just a matter of getting a good reloading manual, an appropiate reloader, quality components, and taking your time w/ a good notebook for record keeping.

SP-10 Fan

I've been loading for my 10 gauge with the MEC 650 Jr.  I'm loading TSS (AWESOME stuff...).  But, I've yet to reload any hulls that have been shot before; I'm loading new, primed hulls.  I only use it for Turkey hunting so I still have over 100 new, primed hulls.  Does the Sizemaster resize the base like a full-length rifle/pistol die squeezes the brass back down to its original dimensions?