Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Off to a good start on Tax day!

Started by derek, April 15, 2015, 02:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek

1st day out, and one that will be pretty tough to top for me score wise.  An impromptu hunt, weaseled in a trade with a friend to get in the woods before my public land permit hit in DE. 

Had quite of few birds going from the roost.  They flew down, hens with them got real loud.. tried to pull her in to no avail.. gobblers started to get quiet.  We're about 35 yards inside the woods from a field edge.  A bird got out into the field and came down the edge towards us.  I was looking into the woods then notice my friend move.. I peek over his shoulder and there's a bird just entering the woods.  He takes a few more steps and I get to watch Kelly smoke him at 32 yards @645  Let things quiet down, I knew we still had birds not too far so moved down a little and sat for a bit.  Wasn't getting any gobbles so hit the box call to have a bird cut it off a good ways out on another property.  Did it again and he gobbles on top of it.  We moved another 80 yards or so and were met with the property line.  Bounced some deer and I thought we screwed up.  Couldn't get another gobble.  Figured we'd just sit tight for a bit and see what happens.  wait wait wait.. nothing... call .. nothing.. wait.. nothing. etc.  Made a long cut/yelp sequence and get a gobble to cut me off.  That was it for another 10 minutes, then they gobble again to me, only cutting the distance in half.  Seemed like forever (probably wasn't!) but never got another gobble.  More waiting.. Couldn't see real far as it was kind of thick.. Finally see a head.. and another head.  They're moving in heads held high scanning hard.  Wait till they go behind a large tree and move my gun.  When one steps out at 35 yards I took the shot at 8:48.  Bout scared Kelly half to death as he never saw the bird until I was halfway to him!  Was very pleased to see the spurs!  Helluva bird to start the season with!  My first Delaware bird, and heaviest bird to date.  Also, my first bird on private land.. which is kinda cool. 

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

derek

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

MDbowman

BowBendr

Nice trade got you a killer set of hooks !
Way to start off your season, he scores good  :z-guntootsmiley:

Duke0002

Scottyb

Awesome!! Now my de turkeys are just a little more safe lol!
Mossy Oak Pro Staff...

DMP

Fullfan

And it begins, congrats on a great bird..
Don't gobble at me...